♡ TWENTY SIX ♡

❝ ᴏᴜʀ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛs ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴀ ʟᴏᴛ ᴏғ ᴛʜɪɴɢs ᴏᴜʀ
ʜᴇᴀᴅs ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴀʀᴇ ɴᴏ ɢᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ᴜs ❞

~~~

🇭 🇺 🇳 🇹 🇪 🇷 :

The wind is knocked out of me when she jumps onto my back.

“C'mon, Nemo. Tell me what's bothering you.” I sigh and try to shake her off, but to no avail.

“Theodora, if you call me Nemo one more time, I swear to God.” She makes an unintelligible sound right by my ear.

“Jason calls you that.” She sounds angry now, and I use that as my attempt to throw her off my back again. I sigh under my breath when she tightens her grip on my shoulders.

“Yeah, well, Jason made it his life's duty to annoy the shit out of me.” I say, as I accept her as my human backpack. I walk into the house and take a turn for the kitchen.

“Tell me.” She whispers in my ear. I place my hand against her face and shove. Not hard enough to hurt her and make her fall from my back, but hard enough to silently tell her to piss off.

I place her onto the countertop and take two sodas from the fridge, handing one to her.

“Please, tell me. You know you're my favorite brother.” A sickeningly sweet smile spreads her lips.

“I'm your only brother.” I say blankly. She opens her mouth and then closes it quickly. She's silent for a moment, and then she looks at me again.

“That's beside the point. The point is, you need to tell me what's bothering you.” I sigh again and lay my head against the wall behind me.

“It's nothing.” I mutter.

“Bull!” I can hear the annoyance in her voice. “I can tell when something's bothering you. You get all depressed and shit. It's annoying.” She drops to the ground, and I close my eyes as if that'll make me invisible.

She's quiet for a lengthy moment, and my stomach twists when I realise what she's thinking about.

“Theodora, please, don't.” I say as I open my eyes to look at her. She stares back at me with a sly smile and mischief gleaming in her ocean eyes.

“Theo, for the love of God… please—”

“Is your sudden change in behavior due to a little someone showing up here?” I roll my eyes in response. Her smile only widens as she moves closer to me.

“Is it… Kazimir, perhaps?” His name alone nauseates me. I look at a spot behind her head, and after a moment, my gaze drops to hers.

“Don't you think it's… odd? How he just shows up here after three years. After what he did.”

“What you assume he did.” She corrects.

“There is no assumption in this, Theo. He killed her!” She takes a step back and shakes her head.

“There is no proof, Hunter.”

“No proof?!” I mutter angrily. “Why would I need proof if I know it's him who killed our mother?!” She lets out a sigh, and her features soften.

“Okay. How about we don't talk about this anymore. How about you tell me what's actually bothering you.” I shake my head and refuse to look at her.

Every single person in my life sees Kazimir as this fucking angel, and I'm sick of it. He can't do anything wrong in anyone's eyes.

“Is it Gaby?” She asks softly. I sigh deeply at the mention of her. All I can think about is her lips on mine  and all that she said to me earlier. It plays in my head like a broken record.

No matter how much I wished I could have a better life. A normal life. Shit kept being thrown my way until I had no choice but to leave.

And the way those gorgeous emerald eyes of hers welled up with tears had my heart shattering into a million little pieces.

“I'm just…”

“Scared?” She offers. I meet her eyes and nod hesitantly. And like always, she somehow finds a way to look into the depths of my soul and know what I'm thinking.

“You're scared she'll reject you if you tell her your feelings. You're scared that your deepest darkest fears will come true and she'll choose Kaz over you. You're scared because the reason she actually kissed you earlier was because she saw Kaz and all those lost feelings came rushing back and she didn't want to accept it.” She pauses for a moment, and looks me dead in the eyes.

“You don't have to be scared. If she really wants to move on from what she left in New York, she'd be stupid not to move on with you.”

“How can I do that when I know she'd choose him in a heartbeat?” I speak my thoughts aloud. Theo sighs softly as she touches my shoulder in a reassuring way.

“You don't know that for certain, Hunt.”

“I don't?” I ask with annoyance lingering right behind. “I don't know if you've noticed… the way she looks at him. The way her eyes sparkle when she lays her eyes on him. There's love there. A love so strong, time could never erase it. It's there whether she realises it or not. Whether she accepts it or not.” I sigh softly.

“You want to know something none of us wants to accept? Not even me?” She stares at me with a softened expression. No, an expression filled with pitty. The sight nauseates me.

“She's always going to choose him. The heart wants what it wants, Theo, and right now, until forever, her heart will always want him.” I drop to the ground and turn to leave. If I keep talking about this, my heart will start to physically hurt.

She grabs my arm, and gently pulls me back. Her arms wrap around me and my features soften. I rest my head on her hair. “I'm sorry,” she whispers against my chest. I rub her hair soothingly.

“It's okay. It's not your fault. If anything, it's my fault for falling for her.” After a moment of her embracing me, she pulls away.

“You know,” she says, looking up at me. “You can always change what her heart wants…” My eyebrows draw tight with confusion.

She climbs back onto the countertop with some struggle and turns her attention back to me. “You said she never would've gotten a real childhood in the second half of her life because of all the shit she went through. How about you give her her childhood back.”

“I don't think I understand…”

She sighs, “Jesus, Nemo. Use your brain for a second.” I stare at her blankly, and she smiles brightly in return. “What I'm saying is, all the things we had in our childhood that you think she didn't have, give that to her. Let her feel what it's like to be a child again.” She looks me in the eyes with her deep blue ones.

“Maybe if you allow her to feel like a kid again, she'll enjoy being around you more and fall for you. That way, it's a win-win. You get the girl you want, and she gets the childhood she's always deserved.”

I smile at her idea and start texting the guys to help me get a few things.