♡ CHAPTER FOURTEEN ♡

❝ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴡᴀs ᴀᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴡɪʟʟ
ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴛᴏɢᴇᴛʜᴇʀ ❞

~~~

🇬 🇦 🇧 🇷 🇮 🇪 🇱 🇱 🇦 :

The intro to 'Through the Dark' starts, and I feel my eyes close as Liam sings the first line as elegantly as he always does.

I find myself listening to their music more often now. When I feel my mind needs to quiet down with thoughts of Kaz, I choose to listen to my favorite songs from their discography.

Which is almost all.

Niall starts singing, and I feel myself become calmer. Feel my mind become a safer place to reside, for now.

My heart stutters in my chest when a hand is placed on my shoulder. Instinctively, my hand forms into a fist, and I blindly throw it out. It hits warm flesh, and a muffled sound follows. I'm quick to pull my ear plugs out and search for the victim. A gasp parts my lips as I crawl to him, my hand finding his arm that holds against his throat.

"Oh my God, Hunter. I'm so sorry." I have to fight the urge to laugh while uttering the words with as much sincerity as I'm able to muster.

I guess this is payback for ruining my painting, is what I want to say, but decide against it.

"No," he says, strained. His voice hoarse, "it's okay… I'm okay." I'm unable to hide the smile that tugs at my lips. He's clearly lying, and I can't help but find it adorable.

"You have a beautiful smile," he says suddenly and starts sitting up. My smile drops, and heat claws its way up my cheeks. He must see my embarrassment because he smiles. The type of smile that makes his eyes crinkle and his cheeks indent.

God, is he beautiful.

Why I chose to hate myself for acknowledging that before is beyond me.

His hand comes up to my cheek, and he rubs his thumb along my heated skin in a feather-like caress. My heart stutters for the second time tonight, but unlike the last, it brings a sort of euphoric feeling with it.

Suddenly, almost as if realising the position we're in, I pull back and sit beside my pencil case again. He clears his throat and takes a seat beside me. Silence falls between us for a moment, almost deafening, until he decides to speak up.

"You're constantly in your head," he says as he shifts and leans his head against the frame of my bedroom window. "What are you always thinking about?"

He asks the question as if answering is the easiest thing in the world. As if opening up about my past is like folding a page in half.

When I don't answer, he doesn't push. But, then I look at him, and the way the moon's light darkens some crevices of his face. The way his eyes sparkle in the moonlight. And I do something I've always told myself to do; quieten the voices in my head, and listen to what my heart is telling me.

Right now, it says to give it a chance. Give him a chance. Give this life that I want to make a chance. I think of the people downstairs who opened their home to me and opened their hearts to me. I think of how, for the past two weeks, the boy that sits next to me has only ever been nice. And all I ever offered him was violence and anger.

I moved here to start a new life, and I'll be damned if I let the perfect life I've always wanted for myself slip through my fingers all because my heart can't let go of the boy who shattered it by walking away when I needed him most. I'll be damned if I let a boy who could treat me like I always deserved slip through my fingers because my heart is set on another.