Sixty-Five | Two Best-friends

I suppose the crown was never made for sharing.

It was never made for two to wear at once.

Only one could bear the heavy weight of it all.

And maybe I was naive to think anything otherwise.

To think I could share the weight with someone else.

At least not without risking everything I was raised my entire life to protect.

But what if I wanted to protect something else?

What if I wanted to protect her?

- Azzy

Chapter Sixty-Five: Two-Best-friends

It was a nightmare.

That's the first thing I told myself when the bright fluorescent lights invaded my eyes and made my pounding headache worse.

But it wasn't a nightmare.

Not with how everything flashed in my head with such a realness.

With such uneasiness.

"How do you feel?" Renata immediately asked me as she sat on the edge of my hospital bed.

I shook my head, feeling the same suffocating feeling claw up my throat, sending a wave of nausea to my stomach.

"Not good," I whispered, burying my face in my hands as I desperately tried to remain calm.

But I felt just as overwhelmed as I did before I passed out.

"Just try to breathe darling," Renata tried to calm my nerves, but I could only shake my head, lifting my face from my hands.

"It's hard to breathe after being kidnapped or witnessing someone die," I forced out, quickly wiping my fallen tears away.

Renata frowned, "I know, Azura," she said, glancing between my teary eyes.

But I only broke away from her stare, peering around the hospital room that didn't look quite right.

Not with the black walls and white marble floors that reflected against the fluorescent lighting.

"Where did you take me?" I whispered, but with the lack of windows, something in me already knew the answer to my question.

"You're off-site at the Riva building I took you to yesterday—"

"Yesterday?" I cut her short in disbelief, suddenly realizing I had been passed out the entire night, "People are searching for me, Ren."

Renata only hummed, oddly remaining calm, "And I've had them informed of your safety. The FBI pulled some strings so you could stay here until the doctor clears you," she explained.

But I could only shake my head, "No, just take me to a real hospital," I argued, reaching for the heart rate monitor clamped around my finger.