Forty-Seven | The Key

Being a princess, soon-to-be Queen, was supposed to feel...

Well, regal.

Instead, it felt like I was continuously playing a part in a grand production, the lines fed to me, the mannerisms expected.

The other royals were like glittering cast members, their roles natural extensions of themselves.

But me, I felt like I was forever tripping over the hem of my invisible costume.

Perhaps it was the endless etiquette lessons, the scrutiny of every word and gesture.

Or maybe it was the way my desire for independence clashed with the gilded cage of my future.

Being a princess felt like being a rare, beautiful bird—cherished, admired, but forever confined to a cage.

I longed to soar, to experience the world beyond the palace walls, but duty, like an invisible leash, held me back.

Now, however, it felt different.

Renata made me feel different.

She helped me realize that while I was in the cage, I could also open it and get out—I could be myself when I most desired.

I just simply never tried to.

- Azzy

Chapter Forty-Seven: The Key

The forest green dress cascaded down my form, hugging every curve with perfect grace.

It pooled around my ankles, the emerald hue shimmering like a second skin.

This wasn't just any green—it embodied Lyon.

Which was crucial during an alliance signing.

Even with my soon-to-be wife.

Who was already downstairs mingling with everyone else.

Her talk with her father lasted a little bit longer than either of us had expected, leaving us both to get ready separately.

"I was so close Toni—she was about to tell me," I said as he helped me slide my gold heels on.

Antonio looked up at me, hooking one of the heels on my foot, "Like everything? Because I think I'm curious to know what she's not disclosing," he admitted as he grabbed my other heel.

I slid my foot into the heel that he held out for me, "I'm not quite sure what she planned to tell me. Perhaps her feelings regarding everything with her mother and sister?" I murmured my thoughts in question, "She doesn't like discussing them—or the current situation."

I no longer felt frustrated with the hidden details, especially since I knew Renata would finally disclose it all during our talk which was approaching in the next few days.

But a part of me was concerned, especially as someone who constantly kept my feelings brewing inside—and it's not the healthiest coping mechanism.