Sixty | Two Choices

There's something about Renata, a quality that had always defied logic to me.

It's almost as if she's a siren, her very presence a melody that washes over me, drowning out reason.

Her smile, the darkness in her eyes that I could get lost in for hours—it's all a siren song, luring me closer to the rocks.

I knew better.

Especially after knowing only a few of the things she's done.

The havoc I know she's wreaked.

But when she's near, it's like a siren's call amplified a thousandfold.

My head screams warnings, yet my heart, a traitor, thrums a dangerous rhythm in response to hers.

It's a shipwreck waiting to happen, and a part of me, a pathetic part, wonders if maybe, just maybe, I would welcome the oblivion.

If I would willingly sacrifice myself—sacrifice the crown, just to have her.

- Azzy

Chapter Sixty: Two Choices

"Renata, where are we going?" I questioned for the third time as she sat silently in the driver's seat, carefully maneuvering the sleek black Mercedes.

We had left the event close to an hour ago, forcing me to slip away from security for privacy purposes.

It was odd, but I genuinely trusted Renata enough to be alone with her—and I couldn't tell if that's because I'm naive or if my feelings for her clouded my judgment.

I narrowed my eyes at Renata when she only continued to remain quiet, keeping her focus straight ahead, which seemed to send a wave of irritation through me.

"If you don't tell me then I'll..." I trailed off, looking around the clean car that smelled precisely of leather and Renata's familiar perfume, "I'll jump out of the car."

Renata hummed, purposely pressing down on the gas and increasing her speed down the highway.

I scoffed, realizing she was calling my bluff, "Fine, watch me—"

But just as I reached for the door handle she grabbed my arm, placing my hand back in my lap, where her hand now rested on my thigh, "We're less than five minutes away," she said, briefly glancing over to meet my stare, "Think you can you behave yourself for that long?"

My face burned under her brief stare which seemed to let go of mine so she could focus back on the road—leaving me to focus on her hand, nearly burning into the skin of my thigh.

I suddenly angled my legs away from her hand, hating that she even conspired such feelings in me.

Especially at a moment like this.

"What?" I asked, noticing the sudden amusement on her features as she retracted her hand from my thigh.

Renata hummed, turning on her signal to exit the highway after what felt like at least an hour of driving, "Your behavior, it's..." she trailed off in search of a word, "Cute," she determined, allowing the car to come to a slow halt at the red light.

I narrowed my stare at her, hating how perfect her face looked under the faint red glow, "My behavior?" I emphasized, finding her words entirely degrading.