Sixteen | Seventy-Two Hours

I recall my most cherished companion, a loyal friend with fur the color of spun sunlight, who was always by my side.

Her name was Goldie Locks, and she was my very first teddy bear.

Each day's adventures left their mark on her once pristine coat, a tangle of playful memories and harmless mischief.

We were an inseparable pair, sharing not only secrets whispered in the night but also a tiny jeweled crown, a miniature reflection of my own for grand occasions.

At night, wrapped in the gentle warmth of my baby blanket, we were comfortably tangled in silk sheets and dreams.

However, one day, the world tilted on its axis.

Lost in a whirlwind of childish delight, I set my precious bear down, a momentary lapse of attention.

When I realized her absence, a wave of terror washed over me.

Tears, messy and glistening, fell down my flushed cheeks, each sob punctuated by a helpless hiccup.

My heart hammered a frantic rhythm against my ribs, the world dissolving into a blurry haze of despair.

Then, a ray of hope pierced the storm.

My dear mother, with a gentle smile that calmed the fear within me, revealed the truth.

My treasured companion, whisked away for a much-needed bath was awaiting her grand return.

The world spun right-side up once more.

Clutching my mother's hand, I eagerly sat beside the washing machine, anticipation thrumming through my veins.

The rhythmic hum of the appliance became a lullaby, promising a happy reunion.

This faded memory seemed to offer reassurance in the face of a current situation I faced.

Perhaps, like with my lost bear, a simple misunderstanding clouded what happened with Seraphina and Marcela.

All I could hope was that this was just a simple miscommunication, soon to be smoothed away.

- Azzy

Chapter Sixteen: Seventy-Two Hours

The outskirts of New York still managed to breathe life into me.

Especially as I remained clinging to Renata's warm body as she drove down the empty long roads.

For once, the night fell silent and the stars twinkled much brighter than they did in the city.

Alvaro's estate was hidden away and sitting on acres of perfectly groomed land.

It made sure that the press couldn't get to us even if they tried.

Especially with both of our teams of security roaming the gated grounds.

"It's already broken coverage across all the biggest news channels," Alvaro explained as he flipped between channels on the flat-screen TV that spanned the marble wall.