Thirty-Six | Unsaid Words

The current dilemma with Renata feels like a tense game of chess on a crystal board.

Every question I ask hangs heavy in the air, a probing pawn inching towards her veiled truth.

Her responses, curt and calculated, are like strategic knight maneuvers, deflecting and obscuring her ultimate objective.

We circle each other, suspicion growing in the atmosphere, waiting for the inevitable check that will expose the hidden motive lurking behind her guarded silence.

My frustration mounts with each move.

The air crackles with unspoken accusations, the silence between us thicker than ever.

I long for the fluidity of a bishop, the freedom to explore the full width of the truth, but she confines me to a suffocating game of pawns, each exchange a tedious push and pull with no clear endgame.

Will I ever be rewarded with the truth?

Or is forfeiting the game better than the satisfaction of a checkmate?

- Azzy

Chapter Thirty-Six: Unsaid Words

"I'm sure you guys will work it out."

I sighed as I shook my head, carefully lacing up my black heels, "I'm not so sure... especially after what we both agreed on last night," I whispered, recalling the tense conversation.

I think even if I had been drunk, I wouldn't be able to possibly forget it.

Unfortunately.

Antonio helped lace up my other heel as I sat down on the bed of Renata's penthouse—which we had seemingly just arrived at hours prior.

Now that the letter issue was solved, we would be residing here until Sunday.

Or Tuesday now, since we had some issues to correct with the merger.

"It was the heat of the moment, Azzy," Antonio reminded me for what felt like the hundredth time, "Just give yourselves both some time to cool off and perhaps try having the conversation again."

I lazily raised my brows as I stood from the bed, "Seems she's doing a lot of cooling off—I haven't seen her since last night," I said, feeling irritated by her constant avoidant behavior.

We definitely couldn't leave things unsaid like this.

But at the same time, I wasn't giving in first.

Especially since she's in the wrong for leaving me in the dark like this.

Antonio pursed his lips, "Well, at least she'll be looking at you tonight," he said referring to my appearance.

I smiled slightly, suddenly walking into the attached bathroom to analyze my appearance.

The black dress managed to cover my arms and spill up to my neck—while purposely leaving my entire back exposed as it fell to my ankles, where a slit cut up my long-toned leg.

My light pink hair was straightened precisely, framing the darker makeup look covering my features.

I must admit... I did look really good.

Ironically enough, Antonio had a good point.

Especially since I was dressed down in all black, which I've noticed is Renata's favorite.