THIRTY-THREE

Sara's POV

It felt like a couldn't breathe. The pebble-dashed terrace house was only metres away from me- the door stained a yellow-cream colour without a window, the post box flooded with mail. I couldn't see inside as crimson red curtains were drawn across the singular front window, but I could make out the build-up of dust and deceased bugs on the window-sill. 

There wasn't much of a front garden- only a small crooked concrete path with moss and weeds growing between each tile. As we stood in front of the property, I crossed my arms across my chest noticing the faint chalk lines,

"Daddy, Look what I drew!".

I could remember that day, I'd found some old pastel chalks in the kitchen cupboard and made myself a hop-scotch. But My parents faces? I couldn't remember a thing.

Shivering slightly Jacob held me close,

"Are you okay?", he whispered calmly,

"Yeah, sorry. Flashback", I laughed nervously,

"How do you want to do this? I can wait out here or I can come with you", he span me to face him by my shoulders as I clung onto his t-shirt,

"Please don't leave me", I murmured, realising how pathetic I sounded,

"I'm not going anywhere. We'll do this when you're ready", grinning proudly, he gently pecked my lips before I glanced at the melancholy front door.

Slowly moving one step in front of the other, I was face to face with the door-bell that's light flickered on and off consecutively. Bringing my index finger upwards, I paused.

"What if it isn't them?", whispering under my breath, Jacob held the small of my back,

"Then we'll carry on looking", nodding in agreement, I span my head back around and pressed the bell hearing an agitated buzzing echo from the inside. 

Silence.

1 elephant. 2 elephant. 3 elephant. 4 elephant. 5 elephant.

Pushing the button in again, the same sound thumped in my ear drums. 

Silence. 

1 elephant. 2 elephant. 3 elephant.

Again. The noise irritated me- I knew the bell was working. Maybe no one was in?

All of a sudden, I heard movement inside- the opening of a door maybe, and footsteps charging towards us making my heart skip a beat.

"Who is it?", a woman's voice made the breath catch in my throat. It was raspy, yet very American. I didn't know if I was to be expecting an accent?

"Um- I. I- *Pause*. We're with the public housing association and we're wondering if we could ask you a few questions? We're in the midst of gathering some feedback about wanted improvements in the area", I waffled, baffled as to what I'd just come up with.

Clinging onto Jacobs hand, the sound of keys rattling startled me before the door swung open. 

A lady who looked to be middle-aged wearing a blue dressing gown and slippers stood with her hand resting on her hip against the door frame. Her salt 'n' pepper hair was messily pulled into a ponytail, which pulled her scalp back to show her ageing skin and navy bags underneath her blue eyes. 

I could tell she was pretty once, she had the bone structure and the kind of eyes that would smile as you'd walk past. I paused, not knowing what to say or to do- It felt like I'd been frozen in time, witnessing everything going on around me but not being able to move.