TWENTY-FIVE

Sara's POV

Stepping into my black prom dress and sliding my arms into the shoulder straps, I desperately reached for the zipper to pull upwards- I must've been spinning for 2 minutes before I managed to maintain a decent latch onto the thin metal tag. God I wished someone was here to help me with this shit.

Maria and Richard were out of state as usual, so I'd been left to prom-dress shop on my own. I had to ask a worker there for her opinions on the several dresses I'd tried on, and even then I'm convinced she was only saying what she thought I wanted her to say for the commission. 

I'd already styled my hair into curls and then into a half-up half-down flourish pinned in place by a diamond head-piece- My makeup was delicate yet sophisticated with a small cat-eye, smokey nude eyeshadow and red-lipstick to add a bit of flavour. When content with how I looked, I Slipped my feet into my black le'boutins Maria had bought me for my birthday, clung to my bag and headed down the stairs. 

I'd watched films where girls had walked down the stairs to her parents taking pictures and her boyfriend beaming ear-to-ear, but this wasn't that kind of movie. It was quiet, as usual, where I could hear each tap of my heals on the marble floor.

Glancing at my phone, Emily had messaged saying they were 5 minutes away. We'd all agreed to rent a limo between myself, Emily, Ryan, Eva, James, Andrea and Luis- it was a 7th wheel situation which I was NOT looking forward to.

Nevertheless, the patent black vehicle was beautiful decorated with a white bow on the bonnet. As Emily ushered me inside, we all squealed in excitement as I appreciated how beautiful they all looked;

Emily was wearing a royal blue ballgown; Eva had a pastel yellow mermaid dress; and Andrea had an emerald green ball gown. Watching them all cling to their S/O's, I couldn't help but think of Tyler. Months ago we'd agreed that I would wear a baby pink silk dress, and he would wear the matching tie- Oh well, I preferred this dress anyway.

As we arrived at the venue, an array of colour was displayed as everyone headed inside clinging onto one-another. We were having our Prom at a spa and golf resort only 20 minutes from our school- it was a beautiful and modern building with glass walls and exotic plants decorating the entrance. I watched as Mrs Willis stumbled into the entrance awkwardly, dropping her bag in the process- giggling quietly and shaking my head, we piled out of the limo.

"I can't get over your dress Sar", Emily exclaimed fondling it's soft material,

"It's so eerie but so sexy at the same time", Andrea chirped winking at me jokingly,

"Thankyou girls, you all look beautiful", Pulling them into a hug, Ryan posed,

"Awww thanks Sara", he jested making us all giggle. Disco lights and loud music echoed around the room as the silhouettes of our classmates crowded onto the dance floor came into view- everybody looked so happy.

"This is crazy!", Eva clapped her hands sprinting towards the photo boot with James,

"Should we go to the 'sponge-a-teacher' babe? I really want to get Mr Sanchez", Andrea grinned Evilly pulling Luis by the arm,

"Will you be okay for a second Sar? We're going to talk to our psychology professor", Emily rubbed my shoulder as Ryan took her by the waist,

"Sure thing, see you in a bit", I smiled convincingly before my anxiety kicked in. I felt so awkward- I hated events like these and it was even worse being on my own. 

Taking a seat at a centre table, the thought of my parents circled round my mind. How badly I wanted them to see me in my prom dress and take pictures with me- My dad would take my hand as I came down the stairs and twirl me around gently as mum snapped photos of us together; but it wasn't possible anymore, that moment had passed. Taking a sip of the soft drink in front of me, I rested my chin in my hands and prayed that my evening would get better.