TWENTY-FOUR

Viewer Discretion advised- Mentions of child neglect and Drug abuse

Sara's POV

"it's all in here", the lady sat behind her mahogany desk blotted her red lipstick on a piece of tissue before sliding a thick beige folder towards me. The sticker on the front had my full name written on it in blue ball-point pen with a slight smudge where it hadn't been left to dry for long enough.

"And this will tell me who and where my parents are", I murmured looking up from the beige card,

"Your birth certificate is in there so it'll give you their names. It'll also have some previous addresses in there, I can't promise you that they live their anymore though", she sighed tapping her french-tip nails on the wood. 

"This is perfect- thank you", I smiled lightly before rising to my feet and heading towards the door,

"Sara", she called my name gently before I turned my head to meet her,

"Please be careful- a lot of people that come in here find things out that they didn't want to know", her brows were furrowed and she spoke sternly,

"I will be, Thankyou Jo", smiling convincingly, I Placed the document in my bag gently. I was holding my identity in this folder after all, I had to be careful. Eva waited outside for me in her car, giving me a nervous look as I jumped back in,

"Are you okay? Did they find anything?", she quizzed turning her body towards mine,

"Yeah *I sniffled*, I have my file in my bag. I think I'll open it on my own if that's okay", I murmured combing my hair in her passenger mirror,

"Of course it is- just let me know that you're okay", she drove back to my house slowly, glancing over at me every so often. I thanked her before hopping out of the car and heading inside. I was a lone, as usual. 

I made myself a coffee and pulled some sour patch kids from the cupboard before entering my room- I'd need some comfort snacks. 

Making myself comfortable and placing the file in front of me, I sucked in.

Was I ready for this? I'd spent my whole life waiting for this moment- and now it was here I was filled with anxiety and dread.

Tracing the corners of the file, I slowly opened it to be greeted by a PCSA document; Listing all of my personal information, I paused at the date; '8th June, 2009'. 14 years ago today.

Shaking my head, I flipped the page to find the 'Statement' Section. Here we go;

As requested by a family friend, who has asked to be kept anonymous, myself and Gianna Goodwin attended the Public housing property today at 13.23Pm. Appearing disheveled and un-kept, it took us a while to approach the door due to garden and bin waist, taking us 12 minutes exactly for the door to be answered after knocking consistently. 

When answered by Mrs Dagher who was less than pleased to let us in, she was dressed in a deteriorating night gown smoking a cigarette in doors . When entering the property, there was a pungent smell of nicotine, human oder and feces as well as an optically unacceptable state. The lack of hygiene and cleanliness was obvious as well as un-safe edifice e.g Damp, mould, collapsing ceilings etc (More detailed description in section 4). 

When entering the living area, Mr Dagher was unconscious on a sofa opposite a table full of bongs, drug packets and syringes. Obviously impacted by drugs, he was unable to talk to us. 

After asking Mrs Dagher about the location of her daughter, she was uncertain also appearing to be delirious. Eventually, we found her in an upstairs room with the door locked which we had to ask Mrs Dagher to un-lock.