Sophomore 51

Hampton University, VirginiaThe Way Love Goes by Janet JacksonWed

The Way Love Goes by Janet Jackson
Wed. Dec. 2nd, 10:34AM
"But First..."
🏀

Dess heard R&B music. She peeked her head inside the office, seeing Gabe sitting at his desk. She knocked on his door and he faced her.

"Sorry if I'm interrupting." She began.

Gabe shook his head, turning down the music. "You're not interrupting. Come on." He waved her in.

Dess fixed her bag then entered the office. This was her first time being inside and it was calming. The vibe she needed at the moment. The rest of the campus was filled with stress and bad energy. Then there was Gabe's office that was the opposite of all of that. She stood in front of his desk, examining the pictures of him and two other people.

"Is that your family?" She asked, pointing in at the pictures. Gabe turned around in his seat then smiled.

"Yes..." he faced her. "Yes, that's my wife and daughter. They're highly photogenic and I'm just standing there." He joked.

"They're beautiful," she softly complimented.

Gabe bobbed his head, seeing the distance and redness in her eyes. He didn't see Dess often since she wasn't a client of his, however, from the last encounters he knew this wasn't normal. That ray of sunshine he was used to feeling and seeing when he saw her was gone.

"Thank you. Is everything alright?" He had to ask. It wouldn't be right of him if he didn't. Dess moved from the pictures and to Gabe, seeing that he was already looking at her.

On her way over, she had skipped both her classes today, she was debating if she was going to be honest with him. She was seeking help, so being truthful seemed to be the only logical and reasonable option. But Dess knew that Gabe was Shai's therapist and probably had an image already of who she was in mind. She didn't want to ruin that by telling him about her life. But she had no one else to speak to. He was her last option.

"Umm, do you mind if we talk?" She caught Gabe off guard but he didn't decline.

"Sure."

Dess walked to the couch and got herself settled. Gabe turned the music off completely then stood to his feet. He shut the door while he walked over, sitting in the chair in front of her. He quickly went into his therapist mode, analyzing her body language. He couldn't help but compare her to Shai. It was going to happen regardless and he allowed it.

Instead of slouching like Shai, she sat up straight. Her hands rested in between her thighs. Her lips twisted to the side, a cheerless expression rested on her face. Back to those red eyes, Gabe assumed it was from crying.