Sophomore 34

🏀Hampton University, VirginiaBasketball by Bow WowTues

🏀
Hampton University, Virginia
Basketball by Bow Wow
Tues. Oct. 12th, 8:30PM
"His Biggest Fan"

HipHop music played at the hands of Axel. Students continued to roll in the already crowded gym to search for seats. The Marching Force band lined up on the bleachers. The Ebony Force dancers taking their place as well. The Blue Thunder cheerleaders strutting in while flipping their hair from side to side. Everyone had came out in support of the boys basketball team for their first scrimmage. It was a game they've been waiting for against one of their rivals, Virginia-Lynchburg.

A lot of trash talk been occurring between the two schools and it was time to put it to rest. Though not a real game, everyone was taking it serious. Both teams were on the court warming up. Shooting three pointers, layups, and free throws. Danny Adams and head coach Austin from Lynchburg talked and shook hands. The referees talked to the members at the table and got themselves together.

Shai sat on the bench, tying his sneakers tight, and tucked the laces inside. When he was done, he stood to his feet and purposely wiped the bottom of his shoes against the floor causing them to squeak. He scanned the gym at his classmates, some he recognized and others he didn't. He assumed they were freshmen attending their first basketball game. That excited him.

He was about to show out just to give them the full college experience. As he continued looking around while tucking his jersey in his shorts, he ended up seeing Gabe walking in. They made eye contact and Gabe gave him a head nod. Shai sent one back then looked off when he felt a pat on his shoulder.

The clock for their warmups was winding down and the game was about to start. While the team made their ways to the benches for a small pep talk, Shai had to see his good luck charm first. He jogged over to the Blue Thunder cheerleaders, going straight to Dess in the front row. He was greeted with her huge smile and that helped with the nerves he was lowkey having.

Playing as starter for the first time was a major come up from last school year. He knew he had it in the bag but that didn't stop the nervousness taking over. However, it seemed to fade a little as he stood in front of his fiancée.

"Are you alright?" Dess asked, having to raise her voice to be heard over the music.

"I'm good." Shai answered. He held his hand out and they did their handshake. They ended with their hands formed in a heart, they leaned towards each other, and kissed each other through the heart. Dess gave him one more kiss on the forehead for good luck.

"Good luck." She shouted after him since he had to head back. She cheesed hard while some of her cheerleader friends cooed at her.

Shai took a seat on one of the chairs while the announcer started speaking in the mic. He gave out the rules for students and players to be respectful of each other and the officials. He then went ahead and started to name the starting five for Lynchburg and their coaches.