Sophomore 47

McLean, VirginiaIf I Die Young by The Band PerryWed

McLean, Virginia
If I Die Young by The Band Perry
Wed. Nov. 25, 9:50AM
"Angry Black Woman"
🏀

"Thank you," Dess thanked the waitress before she walked away.

There was nothing better than this moment right now. It was day three of Thanksgiving break and Dess woke up feeling thrilled. Her father had came down to visit, which was always a good thing. It felt like forever since she seen him, so she was joyful to be spending another day with him. Today they decided to hit up a diner and get a tasty breakfast. Neither could ever pass up an opportunity as such.

"Oh my gosh, their waffles are always so freaking good," Dess complimented.

One thing for certain and two things for sure, she would always get her some square-shaped buttermilk waffles. Always topped with butter, syrup, and raspberries. Scrambled eggs with cheese on the side, and she couldn't forget her orange juice. That was her go-to breakfast, her paradise on Earth.

Dess hummed while she shut her eyes and took in the taste. Stephen shook his head at her. She wouldn't be his daughter if she wasn't dramatic and extra. But seeing her in a good mood was what made this harder for Stephen. He was going to tell her. Finally. He's been waiting for when the right moment presented itself. When he was mentally and spiritually ready to break the news. God had let him know that it was time, so he had to do it.

As scared as he might have been.

Stephen kept watching Dess enjoy her food and his presence. When he came down on Monday, she jumped into his arms and nearly knocked him over. He understood her excitement. He hasn't seen his baby since her first day of school and he missed her like crazy. He wanted to hear everything that she's been up to. Cheerleading, class, friends, Shai. All of it and some more. They needed to catch up before he was unable to do so anymore.

"Are you not eating?" Dess questioned once she saw Stephen hadn't touched his food. He glanced down at his plate, he didn't have much of an appetite, then back to her.

"I'm eating, so don't worry." He tried to divert her attention. He was trying to ease his way into the uncomfortable conversation. His nerves getting the best of him and he was beginning to get emotional. He didn't want to see that smile fade off her face. But he had to do it.

Even if he didn't want to.

"Anyway, that's a pretty ring." Stephen pointed out. Dess glanced at her ring, her smile growing.

"I have something to tell you." Dess dropped her fork then held her hand in front of Stephen.

"And what's that?" Stephen tried to match her happiness but found himself faking it.