Chapter 48

"Giddy-up!" Anna laughs as she hugs Eclipse's neck while she carries her.

"Why did I agree to this again?" Eclipse groans, feigning irritation.

After the failed attempt by the syndicate, they had begun their walk home only for Anna to trip and sprain her ankle.

"Cause you love me!" Anna smiles.

Eclipse pouts playfully. "Yeah, I guess that's true."

Anna gasps. "You guess?"

She bites Eclipse's shoulder, causing her to yelp. "Ok, ok. I love you very much." Eclipse laughs.

Anna giggles with her but suddenly stops, her body tensing up against Eclipse's back. Eclipse looks at what's caught Anna's attention, a man and two women are at the gate arguing with the guards. Eclipse stops with a frown, letting Anna off her back as she recognizes the man.

"Hide in the bushes. I'll handle this." Eclipse gives her a gentle nudge. "I promise, I'll protect you."

Anna looks in her eyes for a moment before nodding her head and slipping into the bushes by the side of the road. Eclipse makes sure she's hidden before walking over and making her presence known.

"Can I help you?" Her voice was colder than she meant but honestly, she could care less.

"Are you the leader of this so-called academy?!" The man turns to her with a glare, his suit giving him an air of importance.

"I'm one of the founders, yes. Again... can I help you?" Eclipse asks the question more slowly.

"You can start by getting my daughter! I didn't give her permission to be here, and I'm surprised you would accept someone without parental consent." The man gets in her face, causing her to grit her teeth.

"All minors are required to have parental consent to join the academy. If your daughter didn't have it, then she either isn't a minor or isn't here. I can't help you without a name though." She opts to take a step back instead of escalating things.

"Minor or not shouldn't matter!" The man spits with rage.

"I disagree sir. Adults have every right to live as they please, even if their parents disapprove." Eclipse answers tersely.

The man goes to argue some more but the older woman behind him speaks up.

"That's enough Ian." Her voice was soft, something Eclipse didn't expect. "I'm sorry miss, my son can be a bit hot-headed, something he learned from his father unfortunately. My granddaughter left without an explanation, and we believe she's here under a new name. I just want to be sure she is safe, and to understand the reasoning behind her leaving. For all intents, she was doing well in life and even left behind a wonderful fiancé. I just want to be sure she's safe."

Eclipse thinks for a moment. The woman was telling the truth, something she could tell by listening to her heart rate. Which means either she's a good liar... or she didn't know everything her son had done.

"I believe I know who you're talking about, however whether or not she speaks to you is up to her." She finally answers.

The leaves rustle behind her and she sees the look of surprise on their faces as Anna comes up behind her.

"Claire! How dare you worry your mother and I?! End this silly charade and let's go home now." Ian reaches for her, ignoring the grandmother's protest.

Eclipse catches his wrist in a vice like grip, causing him to cry out. "Do not touch her."

She lets go as he stumbles back, clutching his wrist. "How dare you touch me?! I will sue you into the ground! Do you know who I am?!"

Eclipse gets in his face. "I know who you are, but you clearly don't know me. If you ever touch her again, a bruise will be the least of your worries."

Anna's grandma steps in again. "Ok let's calm down. Claire my dear..."

"It's Anna." Anna interrupts her. "My name is Anna now and I am not going anywhere. I belong here."

Ian starts to say something, earning a glare from his mother that shut him up.

She turns back to Anna. "Anna then... I don't expect you to leave this place. But I want to understand why?"

Anna looks between her grandma and her father who was still glaring at Eclipse.

"I see... let's talk privately then." The older woman takes the hint and holds out a hand.

Eclipse watches as Anna takes it and they walk a bit further down the path, out of normal earshot. Eclipse can hear everything perfectly though as Anna breaks down, telling her grandmother about the abuse she had suffered at her father and fiancé's hands.

"What are they talking about?" Ian growls as he tries to walk towards them, only for Eclipse to step in front of him again. "Move out of my way!"

"Not happening." Eclipse let's off a terrifying aura, causing the man to step away from her.

She reigns it in once more as the two rejoin them, Anna's face slightly puffy from crying.

"We're leaving." The older woman says simply as she walks past Eclipse, Anna stopping just behind as she uses Eclipse as a shield.

"Mother you can't be serious?!" The man looks at her in shock but the woman glares at him.

"That will be enough out of you! To be honest I am disappointed with both of you." She looks at the other woman who'd stayed quiet this whole time, causing her to look at the ground in shame. "Anna is staying here where she is happy and safe. You will not interfere or approach her again. If I hear that you've returned, then being written out of the will won't be your only punishment. As it stands, you're lucky that's all I'm doing."

He looks at her, mouth gaping like a fish as she turns to Eclipse.

"Take care of my granddaughter, will you? I can see how much you love her."

Eclipse smiles wryly, "You noticed huh?"

The woman laughs, "my dear, I may be old, but I am not naive. I will come to check om you two from time to time and I hope you will consider me family. I'd love it if I got an invite to your wedding perhaps."

"No daughter of mine..." the man starts to bellow, being shushed again by his mother's angry glare.

Eclipse chuckles. "Of course, as long as Anna is comfortable with it. Please stay safe."

The woman smiles and waves goodbye before dragging her son to the car.

"Are you ok?" Eclipse turns towards Anna after making sure they leave.

"You stood up for me and protected me just like you promised." Anna smiles softly as she kisses her. "I love you more than ever."