Chapter 27

The sight of Eclipse pinned to the ground by a lady with long, red hair causes her heart to beat faster. Eclipse's eyes had a faraway look in them and the air felt heavy, like it was actively slowing her down.

"Stronggirl!" Her own voice sounded distant as panic overtook her.

She can see Eclipse's eyes focus on her for a brief second before a wall of light surrounded her girlfriend.

"No!" The scream echoes.

Anna jerks awake, sweat dripping from her forehead and her throat throbbed with pain. Tears filled her eyes as she looked at the empty bed beside her except for a single black shirt. She grabs the shirt, holding it close to her face. Eclipse's scent was there but fading. She hugged it tighter.

6 months... it had been 6 months since the day she lost her. When the light had died down, she and her attackers had vanished. They'd searched every inch of Sapphire Island with no luck. The president had sent out search groups on the mainland but even they were coming up empty.

A sob sticks in her throat as she goes over that day in her mind. Gaelic had come back early, telling them that Eclipse had dismissed him while she finished the route. Poor guy had been filled with guilt and had joined the search party while they looked for information on Eclipse's location. Then the SOS had come through. She and Warfalcon met up at the gate and made their way to the GPS location.

After they disappeared, Warfalcon had tried use the GPS location again, but they had removed the watch before teleporting and it was left behind. Even Gabriel couldn't find her. Though everything she asked why, he'd give her a sad look and shake his head before poofing away.

She stands up and gets dressed before heading out the door, almost crashing into Warfalcon poised to knock. A look on his face told her that he had news. She followed him quickly to his office.

"I got a weird call this morning and minutes later so did the president." He sits and presses a button on the recorder.

"Hey there! No need to keep looking for your friend. She's safe and sound I promise. She'll be home soon." The voice on the other end was cheery and weirdly familiar.

"That sounds like Eclipse... but... her voice... it's off." Anna looks at Warfalcon, a mixture of both excitement and confusion welling up in her.

He sighs, "that's what I thought too so I ran it against the database. The voice is a match but there's a higher pitch to it and the phrasing is unusual for her. Unfortunately, they hung up the call and when I finally got through, a policeman picked up. He told me they had been given an anonymous tip and went to raid a bunker, only to find the people inside already cuffed and waiting. He said a tall woman had approached him and asked to use his phone. He couldn't give much of a description other than tall with short black hair. He didn't get a good enough look at her eyes and once she had returned the phone, she was gone."

"That definitely sounds like her." Anna could feel her hope rising. "So, what now?"

"The president sent some men to see if they could find her. As for us, we've been instructed to wait here." He smiles sympathetically as her face falls. "I know... I want to go find her too but if she's ok then she may turn back up here. The president wants us to keep an eye out for her here."

Anna nods and turns to leave, going to get something to eat before training. Her mind kept replaying the message repeatedly in the next couple days. But just as before, there was no sign of the missing hero. Her heart felt like it was breaking all over again with each passing day.

The academy alarms blare, signaling an attack. Anna ran towards town, jumping into the fight as lightening buzzed around her. It was a good distraction at least. A well-placed touch to the base of the neck causes the man in front of her to crumble. After a bit, she takes a second to breath and look around at the chaos. They seemed to be holding up well, however, the enemies just kept coming. She'd only been fighting a few minutes, and she was already feeling fatigued. How much longer could they go on?

Flames missed her face by inches, and she turns, just to narrowly miss a fist towards her jaw. Mud under her boots cause her to slip backwards, however, and her head slams against a rock. Her vision tilts and ears ring as she sees the man standing over her. She covers her face to block the blow, but it never comes. She looks up to see a familiar black skirt.

"Stay down princess." Eclipse smirks at her over her shoulder as water covers her head wound. "I got this."