Chapter 22

Anna stays quiet for so long that Eclipse begins to wonder if she would need more time.

"It's ok if you're not..."

"No, it's ok. You opened up to me and I wouldn't feel right if I didn't do the same." Anna smiles nervously.

"Ok... take your time, there's no need to rush." Eclipse takes her hand and intertwines their fingers.

Anna takes a deep breath before beginning, "Let's start with my name. I legally changed it when I joined the academy. My name before that was Claire Valencia."

Eclipse thinks for a minute, recognizing the name, "Valencia, isn't that the name of the rich family two towns over?"

Anna nods and continues, "That's my father. When I was born, the fact I wasn't a boy was a disappointment to him. The fact my mother couldn't have any more children and that I had special abilities just made everything worse. He despised me and would beat me if I ever stepped out of line. He learned that storms were a comfort to me, so he'd lock me up and beat me whenever it stormed. So now it's a trigger for me." She plays with Eclipses fingers as Eclipse focuses on keeping her composure.

"When I turned 22, he introduced me to the man that he planned to marry me off to. I originally thought that he'd be my way out of my father's abuse, however that soon proved wrong as he became just as abusive. For 3 years they planned an elaborate wedding but then I had a mental break two weeks beforehand. I couldn't imagine continuing my life that way, so I ran. I came to the academy and Warfalcon helped me change my name." She gulps and seems to struggle with the next part. "I... I had Doc do a wellness check and due to the abuse, I'm infertile. So, I stayed away from dating."

She looks at the ground and whispers, "I've also never actually slept with anyone."

Eclipse gently lifts her head to meet her gaze, "did you think wither of those things would change how I feel?"

Anna looks embarrassed. "I guess it doesn't matter much considering we couldn't do that anyway but. it's always been a fear of mine. As for the other one, most people make fun of me for it when they find out."

Eclipse sits back and studies the young woman's face before smiling softly, "those people are morons, but truth be told I'm infertile too just for a different reason."

Anna tilts her head in confusion, so she continues. "You remember that rumor that's been going around?"

"The one about you having..."

"Yeah, that is actually true." She laughs a bit as Anna looks at her like a fish out of water, so she explains everything about Charles and what he and his group and done.

When she had finished, Anna sat watching her speechless for a few minutes before she finally spoke.

"But why did they do all of that? You'd think the tubes thing would be enough."

Eclipse chuckles nervously as she runs a hand through her hair, "I had come out as bigender back then. It falls under the nonbinary umbrella except instead of no gender, I'm both male and female. Charles and his group saw that as unnatural and weird. So, it was his way of punishing me for it I guess."

"So do I still use she/her pronouns or..."

Eclipse smiles at the question, "I honestly don't mind either way. Whatever pronouns make you happy is fine by me."

Anna nods and smiles up at her.

Eclipse clears her throat, "there's more... I was actually engaged before Lindsey and then there's what happened with her as well."

Anna sits back as they spend the next hour talking about Jesse and then Lindsey. Getting everything out in the open felt good, like a burden had been lifted from her shoulders.

Anna clings to her arm as they walk home.

"So how about you go get ready for bed and meet me in my room?" Eclipse smiles down at her as they separate at the dorm rooms. "Just walk on in, I've added you to the people allowed in."

They share a quick kiss before walking away.