Chapter 4

2 months passed with Fiesta continuing to visit, much to Blackout's annoyance. Each time started with Fiesta trying to pry into Blackout's past while Blackout ignored the young woman until she would give up and read for a few hours or end up napping. While Blackout tried her hardest to dissuade the young woman, she often found herself looking forward to the weekly visits and that scared her. Her job took all her attention, and she couldn't do that if she started falling for a bright eyed hero with a curious nature.

Today was no different as she stared out the window, the young woman's voice a distant melody as she asks question after question. Suddenly her voice turns to annoyance and anger.

"Why can't you just answer my questions for once?! I'm trying to help you damn it!"

Blackout laughs bitterly as she looks over her shoulder at the young woman, "And what makes you think I want your help? I'm perfectly happy right where I am."

Her breath catches in her throat for a second as she coughs, though the hero barely notices.

"Bullshit! If that was true, then you wouldn't be protecting people." Fiesta pauses for a moment, but when she gets no response she continues, "You know what... maybe you deserved whatever happened to you."

Blackout spins, fury flashing in her eyes, "Then why don't you just leave me alone?! You want to know more about me? How about you ask Warfalcon? Ask him what happened to Eclipse.... if you want my story then start there."

Blackout storms out of the room, leaving a bewildered hero behind her. She walks to her room and slams the door shut. Before long she hears the side door shutting, signaling the departure of the young woman. Running a hand through her hair, she growls in frustration. Letting her emotions get the better of her never ended well.

Before she can think farther, she hears the front door opening and Vinyl's voice ring out.

"OH Blackout!! I have a job!" The sing-song tone annoys her further, but she swallows the feeling and walks back into the hall, her face back to its normal stony look.

"What now?" She asks as Vinyl presses her body against her.

"No kiss?" Vinyl asks, earning a frown. "Fine... how fast can you get ready? I got an urgent request that needs completed ASAP."

"Give me 10 minutes to get changed and get to the town." Blackout pushes the woman off of her and goes back to her room.

Just like she promised, Blackout was dressed in her trench coat and corset, and on the street within a matter of minutes. People ran from her path as she walked, not daring to be anywhere near the terrifying aura that she produced. Her frown increased when 5 minutes passed with no hero in sight. Her hearing had picked up the multiple calls to the academy so where the hell are they?

She paused suddenly as she realized that their plan had been figured out. Shadows dispersed from her, giving her information on the whereabouts of her companions. Dashing forward she ran to intercept the group of heroes heading their way. Shadows enveloped her, teleporting herself right in their path.

"Going somewhere?" She grins at Warfalcon as his eyes narrow at her.

"So, you really are working with them?" He snarls back at her, two of the heroes behind him braced themselves.

The third was Fiesta, her brow furrowed as she glared at Blackout. However, she stayed silent this time.

"Awe you caught me. How'd you figure it out?" Blackout tilted her head as if amused, however annoyance bubbled up inside her.

If the heroes had caught on then she wasn't as useful to the syndicate, which meant she could no longer work as she had. She needed to switch tactics now and that frustrated her.

"Get out of the way, Blackout." Warfalcon ignored her question. "We both know you don't want to fight."

He pressed forward as if to pass her, but she grabs him by the shoulder, "You misunderstand. Just because I don't want to fight you, doesn't mean I won't."

Her eyes flashed as she dodges his punch. The other 3 heroes try to run by, but a wall of shadow engulfs and surrounds them, turning them around and making them go in circles every time they try to get out. Warfalcon and Blackout move around each other, dodging blows as easy as if they were just dancing. This time, Blackout doesn't pull anything back. Going easy when fighting Warfalcon is never a good idea.

Suddenly she sees the opening she's been watching for, stepping in and taking the punch to her sternum as she kicks his leg out from under him. Blood tricks from her mouth as she slams her elbow into his side. He hits the ground hard, holding his side as her earpiece chirps. Vinyl suddenly appearing out of nowhere.

"OH dear looks like you had fun." She giggles as she wraps herself around Blackout's arm.

Blackout shrugs as she turns with her and starts walking, dropping the barrier placed around the other heroes.

"Not going to finish them off?" Vinyl asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Too much of a hassle." Blackout frowns at the thought. "Not in the mood for more charges than we already have. Just leave them."

She can feel the heat from Fiesta's glare as she disappears. Her teleport drops the two of them into her bedroom as Vinyl presses their lips together. Blackout rips off their clothes, using this time to distract herself from the image of Fiesta's disapproving glare. She had been clear with the young hero. She was a villain after all.

Blackout slips out of bed hours later as Vinyl moans in her sleep. Blackout wasn't worried about her waking up, not with the pounding she had given her. Vinyl's body was the perfect stress relief.

Sitting at her desk, twirling the new USB in her fingers, Blackout finally decides and boots up her computer. No more running, the syndicate meeting tomorrow would be her last.