Chapter Fifty-Four

"Sha--"

The greenhouse's metal doors opened smoothly in front of Lin Xi.

Only this time, Lin Xi stood in front of the door for a while before walking in.

There was a blanket draped over his shoulders, but he still felt cold- the coldness seemed to have crawled inside his body.

The interior was still as Lin Xi remembered, the deformed pupa shell was piled in the corner of the culture tank just like last time.

Lin Xi opened the glass tank and walked in. He squatted next to the pupa shell, looking at the ugly thing in front of him more carefully than ever.

In the gap between the shell, the film was still there, but "No. 1" seemed to have changed its posture, Lin Xi couldn't see its eyes this time.

Under the bright lights, the cocoon rose and fell so gently it was hard to even see. This is the only sign that "No. 1" is growing vigorously.

"Ah......"

After witnessing "No. 1"'s normal state, Lin Xi breathed a long sigh of relief.

"Really."

He couldn't help but mutter to himself, the muscles that had tensed also unconsciously relaxed.

"...I almost drive myself crazy, don't you think?"

He talked to himself, rubbing his slightly sore forehead. He confirmed with his own eyes that "No. 1" is still as normal as ever, and then recalled his previous speculations. Lin Xi felt that his actions had become ridiculous and unreasonable.

God knows why when he fell to such a spiral, why he felt that the Star Butterfly he raised himself had turned into that half-human, half-insect monster, and why he had been worried about it for so long.

"No. 1" is probably still dormant, there's no special squirming he could see underneath the cocoon film.

This somewhat disappointed Lin Xi.

For a moment, he even wanted to squat down and poke "No. 1"'s cocoon like an inexperienced child, but then his personal terminal rang abruptly.

Lin Xi, startled clicked on it.

Bryce's slightly frustrated voice immediately came to existence.

"Are you alright?! Did something happen- wait, where are you?"

Lin Xi was still a little confused when he saw Bryce looking so hectic, but he quickly understood what the problem was. Bryce must have missed his message.

"I- I'm in the greenhouse... I just wanted to see what's going on here."

Lin Xi explained quickly.

Bryce on the other side of the terminal looked really angry. Lin Xi could almost see the raised blood vessels pulsing under the skin of Bryce's forehead.

"Damn it, don't you know what position you're in right now? That lunatic Sam's probably wandering around plotting to do something to you! Before this case is solved, you should pay attention to your own safety- and is there anything else in there besides that maddeningly ugly bug? Instead of worrying about that, focus on yourself!"

Lin Xi shrank under Bryce's roars, and he didn't dare to refute him.

"I'll be back quick... I swear I won't run around again."

He replied quietly.

Then he wrapped the blanket tightly around his shoulders and left the greenhouse.