Chapter Fifty-Two

"Oh my God."

Lin Xi stood stiff in front of "No. 1's" shell and watched the red eye.

"You're alive."

He spoke instinctively.

"... You're really alive."

Although he harbored the hunch that "No. 1" was still pupating inside the shell, only at this moment was Lin Xi able to feel completely relieved.

"No. 1"'s eyes twitched slightly, as if in response to his words.

Lin Xi approached again.

It felt strange looking at "No. 1" through such a thin film.

Although it's completely impossible to see clearly what the insect looked like now, these eyes alone were enough to prove that "No. 1" looked completely different now than how it did before.

Lin Xi was extremely curious. He wanted to know what "No. 1" looked now more than ever.

After all, the pupation and transformation of "No. 1" is so wonderful and unique, and there were no records of this stage in Dr Ando's notes.

The next day, Lin Xi allowed himself to stay next to the pupa shell, where he completed some tasks that were now considered dispensable. Occasionally, he would talk to "No. 1"

When he speaks, most of the time "No. 1" will respond positively (occasionally Lin Xi even has the illusion that this transforming alien bug really can understand him), but sometimes, that red eyes hidden behind the membrane will turn a little dim and dull, falling asleep in the pupa shell.

At this time, Lin Xi would stare into the hazy red eyes of "No. 1" and reveal a faint smile.

Although Lin Xi also knew rationally that the current "No. 1" probably looked very scary in the eyes of others: the various reactions of Ernie and Bryce had already reminded him of this. For him, time spent with "No. 1" were the most peaceful moments he had since the failure jump of Helios—  he had never felt such a profound peace even on Earth.

In other words... Lin Xi had never had true happiness after that gunshot made Saville leave him.

Probably it was "No. 1"'s transformation and its abundant vitality that Lin Xi felt at ease.

After returning to his simple cabin that night, Lin Xi took the initiative to find the projection recorder he's long sealed away from the depths of his shelf for the first time.

The cold metal weighed heavily on Lin Xi's palm. He sat by the bed for a long time holding the projector in his hand, but he never had the courage to open the small metal box.

However, even so, everything about this projector and that man could be clearly replayed in Lin Xi's mind.

Lin Xi lowered his eyes and looked at the recorder with its faint signs of oxidation, feeling a subtle sense of sadness in his chest.

This was a gift from Saville, bought with his first salary. He wore his best clothes, solemnly and somewhat rigidly recorded himself in front of the camera.

At that time, Lin Xi was wearing messy pajamas, nestled on the sofa nearby, holding a blanket and watching Saville with a smile.

Saville had never been the kind of person that was comfortable with the camera. Although the abuse and psychological trauma he suffered when he was young are now in the past, he's always nervous in front of people other than Lin Xi. He looked so indifferent— Lin Xi would always laugh and say it was Saville's fault. Saville was at a loss in front of Lin Xi's unreserved praise.