Chapter Forty-Two

In another spherical tent not far from Lin Xi and "No. 1", two other figures slept overlapping each other.

Among them was a man who was lying on his back tiredly, with his lips slightly open. He was very tall and had a slightly sunken face (that was because his nose had been beaten in several years ago). The plaque on his chest read his name: Stephen Lauer.

Covered with all kinds of dirt, the suit that original color of which was almost invisible was crumpled into a ball and piled up at his feet. He was similar to his companion in this regard. They hadn't had time to take it off completely. After getting out of exploration suit, he fell asleep due from excessive fatigue.

It's just that Stephen's companion may be in a worse situation now, because he was pinned by Stephen's arm and was frowning uncomfortably, but he was sleeping and didn't even have the time to protest Stephen, he was really too tired.

If Beerus hadn't been so impulsive and hadn't spoken nonsense to Lin Xi in front of Francis (now "No. 1") and then had his internal organs devoured by some "uninvited" monster, he would've probably been sleeping next to Stephen, sleeping with his arms spread out— after all, there is a strong brotherhood between the two.

They were believers of John Bronson and firmly believed that they had to complete a noble mission.

And if it hadn't been for that accident, they might've found a way to kill that demon named Lin Xi with their carefully prepared exploration mission.

"Well......"

Stephen, who was sleeping, suddenly sniffed and let out a vague murmur.

A few minutes later he let out the same low cry.

But there was a hint of pain now.

"No... no... I can't... God... I..."

Finally, with a low groan of fear, Stephen suddenly opened his eyes.

He stared blankly at the darkness in front of him, his mind empty.

He should fall back to sleep immediately, Stephen could feel his bones and nerves protesting desperately, but Beerus's blue and purple face when he died kept lingering in the form a nightmare in his mind, keeping him up at night.

Oh, really? That poor man named Beerus was once your companion.

In his daze, he seemed to hear a soft whisper.

That voice was so gentle, it touched him.

He was killed by that horrible bug, right? So why are you sleeping so peacefully? Did you forget? The bugs summoned by Lin Xi are still outside. You're sleeping among the bugs now. Who knows if there's similar monsters among the bugs outside your tent now, staring at you covetously?

Stephen frowned and rubbed his forehead.

The voice swirling in his head was so strange... was it just his thoughts? Or was someone talking to him in his head?

Stephen only felt confused, undecided whether he was in a dream and or in reality.

In order to avoid attracting the attention of the bugs, they were very careful to control their light sources even inside the tent.

But it's precisely because of this that human hearing became countless times more sensitive than before.

Under the temptation of the voice in his mind, Stephen carefully listened to the movements outside the tent, he vaguely heard some rustling sounds— like some giant insect was crawling across the smooth rock surface.