Chapter 37

I got out to my car and started to drive back to Isabel's, but I decided to stop and get lunch on the way.

I brought it back to the apartment and walked inside, feeling better than I had in a while. Ava hadn't forgiven me, but there was hope, and that's all I needed at this point.

"Hey Isabel, you here?" I asked as I came in.

"Yeah, I'm in the bedroom," she called out.

I set our lunch on the counter and walked back to find her lying on the bed.

"Well?" She asked, "how did it go?"

"It was actually a lot better than I thought it would be," I said as I sat on the edge of the bed.

"Oh, really?" Isabel asked, sounding about as surprised as I had been.

"Yeah, I mean, things aren't great, but she at least listened to me and said we could talk again," I said.

"Damn, that's a lot better than I thought too honestly," Isabel responded.

"I told her you were wanting to apologize too," I said, "she obviously said she wasn't ready for that yet, but I made sure she knew."

"Oh, yeah I kind of figured, thanks though," Isabel said.

"Yeah, sure," I nodded, "oh shit, lunch, I brought us lunch."

"And you forgot about it already?" Isabel grinned.

"I'm distracted, leave me alone," I said sarcastically.

I stood up from the bed and Isabel followed me out into the kitchen.

"Distracted and happier than I've seen you in a while," she said as she put her hands on my waist from behind me.

I turned around to face her and draped my arms around her neck.

"I am," I said, "just really relieved actually, I wasn't sure she'd even talk to me, so that was a lot more than I was expecting."

"It makes me feel a lot better too," Isabel said as she pulled me closer to her, "you're a lot more fun when you're happy."

"Oh yeah?" I said as I raised my eyebrows at her, "well I'm so sorry I haven't been fun enough for you lately."

She smirked at me and leaned in closer, "I'm sure you'll find a way to make up for it eventually."

"Uh huh," I said, "we'll see about that."

I closed the distance between us and pressed my lips against hers in a slow kiss.

"We better eat before our food gets cold," I said as I leaned back.

"Fine," Isabel said, "you can repay your debts to me later."

***

A couple of weeks had gone by, and Ava and I had still only talked a couple of times. I wasn't too worried about it, I knew I had to continue to take what I could get. The fact that she was talking to me at all felt like a small miracle.