Chapter 4

I walked back to our bathroom and turned the shower on and waited for it to heat up. I put my hands on the sink and looked at myself in the mirror. I was a sweaty mess.

I stepped into the shower and let the hot water fall over me as I started to question my decisions that night. Was it wrong of me to keep sleeping with Greyson if I wasn't really sure how I felt about him? I honestly wasn't sure. The fact that I was questioning it should've told me enough, but I wasn't convinced.

People had meaningless sex all of the time, it was fine, wasn't it?

***

The next morning I rolled over to find Greyson still sleeping heavily next to me. I watched as his chest rose and fell, and tried not to feel too guilty about last night. I really needed to figure things out with him before I hurt either one of us.

I got out of bed quietly, trying not to wake him. I stumbled into the bathroom and did the best I could to make myself look presentable.

I texted Greyson as I left the house and drove to my favorite coffee shop. I spent a lot of time here on Saturday mornings. It was a good place to just hang out and relax, and most of the time have some peace and quiet.

I walked into the shop and was greeted by the baristas as I went up and ordered my usual drink and breakfast.

I went and sat down on the couch in the corner of the shop. If it was available, it was my go to spot.

I sat there and enjoyed my coffee and started to scroll through my phone, putting off thinking about Greyson and I as much as I could.

Ava will be another good distraction, I thought.

I pulled up my messages on my phone and was getting ready to text her, when someone sitting down next to me caught me off guard.

I looked up with a confused look to find Isabel grinning at me.

"Is this seat taken ma'am?" She asked sarcastically.

"Looks like it is now," I said with a grin, "you following me now or what?"

"Yeah that's totally what's happening here," Isabel said.

"Knew it."

Isabel rolled her eyes at me before responding, "I was trying to find a good coffee place in this neighborhood, so here we are."

"Well this is my go to spot...so it looks like you're going to have to find a different one," I teased.

"Uhhh huh," she said, "sorry but if the coffee is good then you're out of luck."

"Damn it," I muttered under my breath, "how am I going to enjoy my peace and quiet now?"

"I haven't had enough caffeine yet for you to be this sarcastic," Isabel said with a laugh.

"Better drink that coffee fast then," I responded.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm working on it," she said.

We sat there in silence for a minute before she spoke up again.

"Hey I meant to ask you this when I saw you guys last night," she started, "but um, how has Ava been?"

Her question kind of caught me off guard, and she must have sensed my hesitation.

"Sorry, that's weird to ask, you don't have to answer that," she continued.

"Oh no it's fine," I said as I waved my hand dismissively, "just surprised me a little bit...but she's doing okay I think."

Ava was doing okay, but there were times that I had seen her when she wasn't doing so well, but I didn't think it was my place to tell Isabel that.

"Oh," Isabel said quietly, "well that's good then, I think."

"Yeah, I'm not sure that she's thrilled that I moved out not long ago, but she insists that she's fine," I said.

"Wait, you moved out?" Isabel asked, "why?"

"I um, I moved in with Greyson like a month ago," I said.

"Oh shit, really? Good for you! I didn't realize that," she responded.

I nodded, but didn't say much else.

"Or maybe not so good for you?" Isabel continued hesitantly.

"No, no, it is, things have been good with us," I said, trying to sound believable.

"You know Skylar," Isabel started, "it's been a while since we've hung out, but I do still know you pretty well I think."

"Yeah...and why do you say that?" I asked her.

"I mean I know you well enough to know when you're lying," Isabel said as she took a sip of her coffee and looked at me over the top of her cup.

"Calling me out already, huh?" I said.

There was no point in denying it now.

"Just saying, I could tell you were acting weird when I asked you about Greyson last night too," she said, "what's going on?"

I sat there and looked down at my coffee cup. I wasn't sure how to tell Isabel what was going on when I wasn't even sure.

"Sorry, that probably wasn't the best thing to ask you about when we've barely talked in the past few months," she continued.

"It's not that," I started, "I don't mind that you asked, I'm just not exactly sure myself of what's going on."

"It's just felt different lately, and I'm not really feeling it any more...I don't know," I continued.

"Oh, got it," she said quietly, "sorry to get all deep with you right away."

"That has always kind of been a talent of yours, hasn't it?" I asked her with a grin.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked as she raised an eyebrow.

"I don't know, you're just good at getting information out of people," I said.

"You make me sound like I'm trying to interrogate you or something! Damn," she responded.

"Nooo, that's not what I meant," I said with a grin, "you're easy to talk to, kind of makes me want to tell you all of my deepest, darkest secrets."

"Okay well now I'm intrigued," she said as she leaned back against the couch.

"Have to keep you on your toes," I said as I wiggled my eyebrows at her.

"So is that a no to telling me your secrets or...?" She playfully asked me.

"Uh yeah, you're not that lucky yet," I told her.

I took another sip of my coffee as my phone began to ring in my pocket. I grabbed it and looked at the screen, assuming it was going to be Greyson, but it was Ava.

I silenced the ringing and slid it back into my pocket, that call was going to have to wait.

                ————————————————