Chapter 30

My heart felt like it stopped as I quickly pulled away from Isabel. We both turned towards the voice and I saw my boss, Jen, standing there with a confused look on her face.

"Jen, hey, we um..." I started.

I wasn't exactly sure where I was going or how I planned on explaining this, or if Jen would even care.

"It's fine," Jen said as she waved her hand dismissively at us, "you two just surprised me."

"Sorry..." Isabel said, "I swear this wasn't going on when I recommended her for the job."

"It's okay, really," Jen said with a grin, "I have a reservation so I'm going to head inside, I'm sure I'll see you in there."

She walked past us and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Jesus Christ that scared me," I said to Isabel.

"Yeah, quite the start to our first date, huh?" She asked with a grin.

"No shit...maybe we shouldn't go in," I said.

"Oh come on Skylar," Isabel said as she grabbed my hand, "we're already here, we might as well."

"But - " I tried to protest, but Isabel continued to lead me towards the restaurant.

"Nope, it's fine, we're going in," she said, "and you should be happy that Jen knows, it might make work a little easier."

"I guess so..." I said.

"I never thought that I'd be the one pushing you to take a risk," Isabel said as she smirked at me.

"Whatever, you know this is different," I responded as we walked up to the restaurant door.

"I know," she said, "I'm just giving you shit."

I jokingly rolled my eyes at her as she held the door open for me and motioned me inside. I cautiously looked around when we got in, making sure we didn't know anyone else.

"You good?" Isabel leaned in and asked me.

"Yeah, Jen scared the shit out of me, I think I'm just jumpy now," I said.

"I know," she nodded, "that was a little nerve racking, I wasn't sure who it was at first."

"Uh huh," I agreed.

We were seated a few minutes after we walked in and I started to look over the menu. I found myself nervously looking around the restaurant every few minutes and having a hard time concentrating on deciding what to order.

"We don't have to stay if this is making you too uncomfortable," Isabel said.

I looked up at her and realized she had been watching me.

"Sorry, I'll be fine," I said, "I just need a few minutes I think."

"Okay, I really don't mind leaving if you need to," she said reassuringly.

"No, we can stay, I promise," I told her.

"Alright," she nodded, "let me know if you change your mind."

"I won't," I grinned.

She smirked back at me and shook her head as we both continued to look at the menu. We ordered a few things to share, and thankfully the rest of the dinner was pretty uneventful.

We were finishing up our meal when I looked up at Isabel, and I could tell that she had something on her mind.

"What are you thinking about over there?" I asked her.

She looked up at me and sighed, "I don't want to kill the mood or anything..."

I raised an eyebrow at her and waited for her to continue.

"How are you - or when," she paused again, "what's your plan for telling Ava? I know we have to."

"That is kind of a mood killer, you know?" I said teasingly.

"I'm sorry, maybe I shouldn't have asked," she said.

"No, you're fine, I've been thinking about it too," I admitted, "kind of hard to avoid."

"I'll just - I'm going to have to just do it," I continued, "I'll try and talk to her soon. It's going to fucking suck but it'll make things easier eventually."

Isabel nodded, "do you want me there when you talk to her?"

"No, I think it'll be better if I just do it," I said as I shook my head, "this is way more of a shitty thing on my end than it is on yours."

"I don't know," Isabel said, "I feel pretty shitty about it too, but yeah, you do what you need to."

I sighed as I felt a pit forming in my stomach. Any time I thought about talking to Ava about this, I felt like I wanted to vomit. I had to get it over with eventually.

The waiter brought our bill over to us a few minutes later, and Isabel quickly grabbed it.

"You don't need to pay," I said to her.

"I said I was taking you out, so yes I do," she responded with a grin.

"Fine," I said, "I won't protest a free meal."

"Exactly," she said as she took her card out and set it with the bill.

Once we paid, we walked back out to the parking lot towards our cars.

"Come in my car for a second," Isabel said, "I want to show you something."

"Kind of a weird request, but sure," I shrugged.

She got into the driver's seat and I got in next to her. I shut the door and looked over at her expectantly.

"Well?" I said.

"Come here," Isabel said as she leaned over towards me.

She reached up and grabbed on to the collar of my jacket, pulling me closer to her.

"Show me something, huh?" I smirked, our lips almost touching now.

"Yeah, definitely," she said.

She kept a tight grip on my jacket as her lips slowly pressed against mine. I close my eyes and leaned into the kiss as I rested my hand on her arm.

My other hand went to the back of her head, keeping her close to me. Her fingers moved from my jacket slowly up to my neck as she gripped the side of it. This was making me want to rip her clothes off right here, but I wasn't quite that gutsy.

I reluctantly pulled away from her, and my gaze met hers as I sighed.

"If we keep this up I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from doing more than we should be doing in this car," I said with a grin.

"I wouldn't see a problem with that, but fine," she said back.

"Of course you wouldn't," I said sarcastically as I leaned in and gave her another kiss.

"I should get going anyway," I continued, "thanks for dinner."

"Of course, maybe on our second date I can get you into my bed," she teased.

"Don't be a whore," I said, trying to keep a serious look on my face.

It didn't last very long before I started to laugh.

"Yeah that's what I thought," Isabel said, "I'll talk to you soon though."

She gave my hand a squeeze before I got out of her car. I walked over to mine and got in, looking through the window at her next to me. She waved as she drove off and I sat there for a moment in a daze.

I officially had it bad for this girl.

——————————————————-