~46~ Jealousy

Julianne's POV

"Holden?" I ask a few days later as I'm shoving my folders into my bookbag, finally done with homework.

"Julianne?" He mimics in the same tone as he grins at me from his place at the table and sets his pen down.

I smirk at him and take a deep breath. "Do you ever let us off early on good behavior?"

He raises an eyebrow and sticks the end of his pen in his mouth. "Come again?"

"Well, I know my grounding is over tomorrow, but Gage and his family have plans tomorrow night. Is there anyway we could hang out for a bit tonight?"

Holden watches me for a few moments before he clears his throat and takes the pen out of his mouth.

"Your grounding might be almost over, but you're still mad at me. Tell me why and I'll let you off the hook."

Kenna and Tate both look at me from their homework-doing (or in Tate's case, phone scrolling) and I sigh.

"Never mind," I say as I take my book bag to my room and sit on the edge of my bed.

I'm not trying to still be mad at him

I look up when I hear the floor creaking, and meet Holden's sad eyes.

"You can get off on good behavior...You've been perfect...I can't hold your being upset with me against you."

"Really?"

He nods as I stand up and hug him around his waist. "Thank you, Holden. I promise I won't drink again."

He hugs me tightly and bends so he can kiss my head. "I sure hope not...As I said when I was lecturing, you will get soap in your mouth if you do it again."

I visibly shutter and he smirks a tiny bit, but I nod my head in agreement.

"Ok"

"Here," he says as he hands me my phone, fully charged.

"Thanks," I grin as I immediately bring up Gage's name in my messages.

"What are you guys going to do? He can come here if you want."

"I don't think that's a good idea," I say as I shoot him a quick text about being free.

"Why not?"

"Well, because Tate now hates him for what happened. I don't want to scare him off."

Holden's eyes tighten and he shakes his head. "I'll take care of it if he tries."

When I get a reply, I show it to Holden. "He can only stay out until about 7. Boardwalk and junk food," I say.

He nods as he reads the text and kisses my forehead.

"Fly free, little bird," he grins.

~*~

"What's going on with you?" Gage asks as he takes my hand and we walk down the strip.

"Sorry. Are you not having a good time?" I ask

"That's not what I said...You just seem so sad. Talk to me," he says as he pulls me to a stop and leans against the wooden railing.

I look up at him, and my tummy clenches as the lowering sun makes his sandy brown hair glow in a way that photographers dream about. The wind gently ripples his hair, and I have to put mine over my shoulder so it doesn't pelt him in the face.

"I'm mad at Holden."

"Why? Didn't he let you off early?"

"He did. He's been really great even though we completely pissed him off."