~7~ Accountability

Julianne's POV

I walk into Holden's class and Tate and I once again ignore each other as I walk past his desk. Holden watches me as I sit, but looks away after a moment and turns to a student who calls his name.

"Hey Mr. T!"

Someone shoot me now. Right now

"Hey Gage! Couldn't wait to see my handsome mug until 6th period, huh?"

Gage smiles his dazzling smile and my stomach knots up so tightly that I feel like puking.

Why does he have to be so perfect?

"My schedule got all switched around thanks to my mom....I'm here this period now," he says, handing Holden a sheet of paper.

"Really? Did this just happen?"

"I found out this morning."

"Dang! I've got an empty seat next to Julianne you can take."

"Thanks Mr. T," he smiles as he walks over to me and sits down, and I can smell notes of cedarwood drafting over to my space and it makes me almost crazy.

I'm even attracted to his scent? Does that make me an animal?

"Alright guys, I'm officially delighting in your misery. I've got a sweet book report and presentation that I'm gonna ruin your life with," he smirks as a collective groan sweeps over the class.

He starts passing out a rubric, and when it gets to me I get excited. We get to pick out our own book, and I already know what I want to do.

A book I've loved since I was a little kid...

Mrs. Mike, by Benedict Freedman and Nancy Freedman.

I immediately start scanning and scheming, and smirk to myself at how easy this will be...Except for the presentation part. Crap! I was only thinking about the work part. I'm going to have to speak in front of people? In front of Gage?

Oh no no no.

I give Holden a death glare, and unfortunately for me he notices. "What's with your scary eyes, Jules?" He chuckles.

Gage turns to me and smirks, and then goes back to his own paper while I shake my head and mutter, "you bug me."

Again, unfortunately for me Holden hears, and doesn't appreciate it. His eyes tighten and the smile he has plastered on is looking more and more forced.

I can tell he wants to say something, but he chooses instead to ignore it and spend the next while going over this stupid thing.

~*~

We get home that afternoon after Tate's game, and Holden immediately looks at me when I set my book bag down. "Julianne, if you won't say something to another teacher, don't say it to me. What on earth is wrong with the assignment?"

"Why do we have to present? I HATE public speaking. Why can't I just do the report?"

"Because presenting is half of the grade."

"Can't I do a few extra pages instead? I literally puke whenever I have to speak in front of people like that. I'm already nervous and it's three weeks away!"

"No, you can't. These are the components to the assignment, and if you don't do them all then the highest grade you will get is a 50 percent."

"Then I'll take the 50," I say calmly as I go to my room to grab my copy of Mrs. Mike. When I come out, Holden isn't happy.

"This project is a huge part of this quarter's grade. If you get a 50, you won't be able to get any higher than a D this quarter."

"Fine with me," I shrug as I sit down.