~18~Need To Do Laundry

Julianne's POV

A knock as Holden is slipping on his shoes grabs our attention. He goes to the door and when Sylvie walks in, he immediately gets serious.

"You look like you've had as good a day as I have," he says as he tucks a strand of her loose auburn hair behind her ear.

"That girl dying was NOT my fault," she hisses, and Tate and Kenna both turn from their place at the corner to listen.

"I don't remember telling either of you that you could get out yet," Holden says darkly, and they both put their nose back in the corner.

"Of course it isn't, baby. What's wrong?" He asks in a soft voice as he grabs both of her hands.

"The HOURS of damn questions Grebner and Lundy threw at me.....They showed me a dozen pictures of this chick, and yet it's weird that I don't remember her? Holden, the bar was at max capacity. Honestly, I'm so grateful that the Fire Marshall wasn't there because we definitely exceeded max capacity. I'm sorry I cannot remember one drunk girl out of the hundreds I served?!? And then to insinuate that I served her too much alcohol? We cut so many girls off that night. But when one group wants twenty shots and another group wants ten beers and....."

Holden doesn't let her finish as he pulls her into a crushing hug. "You did nothing wrong. They're just trying to find this guy, baby...." He croons in her ear as he rubs her back up and down gently.

She lets him hold her for a minute, and then pulls away.

"The girl that Tate was making out with? It was her best friend. Thank heavens he came home with me or he'd be a suspect."

"Shit!" We hear him say, and Holden turns to him. "Are you really wanting another spanking tomorrow?"

Tate doesn't answer him, and Sylvie clamps her lips together. "Fun day?"

Holden rolls his eyes. "So they have no leads?"

"How the hell do I know? It's Lundy and Grebner. I can't imagine Barney Fife actually catching a crook. They tried to give me shit for not knowing who it could be. 'Quinn, the killer was probably in the bar at some point'," she mocks in a man's voice. "So you want me to just DO your job for you, Lundy? Go screw yourself, asshole......"

Holden fights a smirk and kisses her forehead. "You weren't very cooperative, huh?" He chuckles.

"Well? They were pissing me off!"

Holden laughs despite himself and sighs. "I'm gonna order a pizza tonight. That sound good?"

"So good! I found a $50 on the floor that one of those idiots dropped the other night. I'll pay!"

"No you won't, I'll pay."

"Holden, it's free money, and I know you're pissed that you lost out on the tips from Saturday. Please?"

After a moment, he finally gives in. "ONLY because you found it on the floor. I'll call it in."

"You two can get out of the corner, but so help me if you argue once more tonight......"

~*~

I'm falling asleep on my bed after dinner when I hear Tate and Holden come in.

"Holden, come on! Kenna and Quinn are here.
Can't you give me just a little dignity?"

"Sorry. You are getting punished tonight for what you did to Quinn. Jules, can you leave for a bit?"

You've got to be kidding me! I'm almost asleep!