~22~ Dissappointment

Julianne's POV

I don't know for sure, but based on the way the sun has lowered in the sky, I'd guess I've been trying to get up the courage to go home for another hour or so after Gage leaves.

I don't want to

I don't want to deal with Holden's anger and disappointment with me, but mostly, I don't want to feel the shame I'll feel when I have to face both of my brothers.

They both saw me run away and make a complete fool out of myself.

I'm so humiliated.

I finally make the short trek home, and when I get into the house Tate is immediately rushing over to me.

"Are you okay?" He breathes as he pulls me into a bone-crushing hug, and I have to tap him on the shoulder so he will release his grip a little.

"Not really," I finally say into his neck as he continues to hug me. "Where's Holden?"

Tate lets me go as he gets out his phone and calls someone. "Hey. She just got here. Yeah she's fine. Okay bye."

Tate puts his phone back in his pocket and looks at me. "He went out looking for you; He was totally freaked that you didn't have your phone. I'd give it back to you, but Holden told me I couldn't. Apparently you've lost it."

"I figured," I sigh as I sit down at the kitchen table and pick at the splitting wood.

Tate watches me silently for a long moment, and after an awkward amount of time he sits across from me in the chair that squeaks and softly says, "Wanna talk about it?"

I shake my head and laugh a self deprecating laugh. "I'm even more of a loser now. How am I gonna show my face at school tomorrow?"

He studies me silently, and for once doesn't look like he's going to be sarcastic. "Julianne, you're always so hard on yourself. It didn't look great that you walked out, no...But you missed all of the presentations. Larissa got so nervous that she dropped her notecards and everything was out of order. She literally started to cry and Holden stopped the presentation for a second to calm her down. Tarek tripped walking up and smashed his knee on Holden's desk, and it completely derailed him and...Let's just say it's the first time I've ever had second-hand embarrassment for someone. You just left. You did something stupid. Not embarrassing. You're not the only one who goes through shit."

I let that speech sink in for a second as the clock in the living room ticks the seconds away. Fifteen ticks later and I sigh. "How mad is he?"

Tate snorts as he scratches his eyebrow and leans back in the squeaky chair. "The man has hit almost every emotion humanly possible, in this exact order.... Stunned, concerned, annoyed, pissed, worried, relieved, and now I'm guessing he's coming back around to pissed. You're so completely screwed. Where did you go?"

I shake my head and give him a tiny smirk. "In the exact order? Boardwalk, beach, lighthouse."

"......Julianne, you are COMPLETELY SCREWED," Tate gasps, and then grins and gives me a high-five. "Finally made it to the lighthouse, huh? That place is my favorite.. I'm anxious to sneak back out there...."

"Why does that not surprise me?"

He chuckles as he leans back further in the chair, and the wood splinters and snaps, sending him crashing to the floor.

"Are you okay?" I gasp as I lean over the table and see him sprawled on top of splintered wood. "Ouch! Aw man! He's gonna be pissed at me now too."

I smirk as I nod. Holden has told Tate since we moved here to quit leaning back in that specific chair because it's weak and falling apart.