~9~ Jeans

Julianne's POV

The next day follows the same pattern as yesterday. Holden and Tate are really really quiet around me. Holden still smiles at me and kisses my head, but he's hurt. Or angry. Or both.

Tate just seems like he couldn't care less, but I think that's a show. Otherwise he wouldn't have asked me last night if I was okay.

By that evening I'm so completely lonely, that I look over at Tate, lying quietly in his bed, and sigh. I stand up and go to his, sitting down and making him look at me in surprise. "I know you didn't hurt anyone," I simply say.

He watches me carefully for a long minute before putting down his phone and sitting up. He doesn't say a word, but he pulls back his covers and motions for me to climb in. Once I'm lying down next to him, he covers me up and takes my hand.

"Yesterday sounded brutal. Holden went really hard on you. You okay?"

"Yeah," I nod and rest my head on his pillow.

He lays back down, taking up the rest of the pillow, and sighs. "I'm so damn bored."

"Me too."

"Are you even grounded?" He asks.

I shrug. "He didn't actually say..He just took my phone. Where would I go anyways?"

"If you just put in effort, you could make friends here pretty easily. And don't tell me you already have a friend. You have Kenna. Who, might I add, doesn't treat you very well. She already broke up with you once and then almost got you in trouble."

"And you think your drug dealer friends treated you well?" I ask, praying this doesn't put us in another fight.

He's quiet for so long that I brace myself, and almost get out of his bed. Finally he sighs. "No, they didn't. But I'm not talking about back in Cali. I'm talking about here. Now."

At my shrug, he turns his face toward my ear.

"You could always try to talk to Gage...Since you sit right next to him now."

"I...what?" I stutter, feeling my cheeks flush hot.

"You talk about him in your sleep almost every night, Jules. Don't be embarrassed... I won't say anything. It isn't your fault that neither of us have any privacy here."

When the pounding in my ears stop, I take a deep breath. "He isn't interested."

"So? He's nice. You could still be friends with him."

The thought of just being friends with him makes me feel physically ill, and I simply shake my head.

He closes his eyes, and then I do the same. After a long, long time, I quietly whisper. "I'm really sorry, Tate."

It's quiet for a few seconds, and I assume that he's asleep. After another second he keeps his eyes shut and whispers. "I love you."

"Love you too"

~*~

"You two ready?" Holden asks as he tucks his polo into his too-tight jeans and runs his hand through his hair.

"You have a NICE girlfriend now, weirdo. Do you really need to dress like a hussy?" Tate asks as he slips on his shoes, making Holden grin.

"These pants, my dude...I'm convinced they're magical. Every time I wear these jeans, my tips are insane."

"Yeah? It's probably because they leave little to the imagination."

"If my sister wasn't standing right there, and you weren't my minor-aged brother, I'd make a very inappropriate joke about how that's inaccurate. But since she is and you are, I'll just say to watch your mouth and mind ya business."