~11~ First Day Blues

The only solace I have as I'm walking into the building is that there's no way I'll be getting lost.

This place is stupidly small

As we make our way into the tiny warm office, I cringe at the musty smell.

Do they ever air this place out?

The computers are outdated and the copy machine sounds like it's on its last leg. A lady with blonde hair to her waist thrums her fingers against the side as she waits for her copies.

"Morning Holden," the lady grins as she looks at me and Tate with curiosity burning in her eyes.

An old lady with glasses resting on the tip of her nose looks up at us with disdain as she clicks her tongue.

"Morning Jacey," Holden smiles at the blonde, and then turns to the scary old lady and gives her a warm grin.

"Did you have a good weekend, Mary?"

She simply nods as she points to the Principal's office, and we walk in.

The man sitting at the desk isn't as old as I was expecting...He's probably still in his thirties. He has a reddish/brown beard with thinning hair on the top of his head.

"Good to finally see ya, Holden," he teases as he gives us a warm smile.

"I'm so sorry, Tim....This is Julianne and Tate. Guys, this is Mr. Lee."

I give him a small smile, but I can't work up the nerve to do more. My nerves are just about shot.

"Welcome to Cedar Key," he greets as he gets some paperwork for Holden to fill out. Holden looks through it for a moment, and then sighs.

"Any chance I can fill all of this out and give it to you by the end of the day?"

"Sure," Lee smirks as he hands us both a schedule. "You guys need help finding where you're going?"

"In this building? We'll be fine....." Tate scoffs as he looks over his schedule and leans back in his chair.

"Ok cool. Well, if you need help come and find me...I hope you two have a wonderful first day." Mr. Lee smiles.

Holden looks up from the paperwork and gives us his crooked smile. "You both have me fourth period, and then we share a lunch. Want me to walk you to your first classes?"

"What part of this building is small as shit and we'll be fine are you not understanding?" Tate snaps as he slings his bag over his shoulders and storms out.

Lee schools his face and Holden closes his eyes for a minute and shakes his head. When he looks at me, his features soften. "Annie, would you like me to take you to your first class? You're upstairs first period with Mrs. Fischer."

I stand up and smooth out my schedule in an attempt to look brave.

"I should be fine. See you fourth period," I say as I turn and go back into the musty room, wishing I was back home in California.

~*~

I make my way up the stairs and read the numbers on the old doors, feeling panic sneak in at the idea of walking into a classroom full of strangers. As I round the corner, I run into someone and literally fall on my ass.

OMG someone just shoot me

"Damn. Are you ok?" A deep voice asks as laughter erupts all around me from all the lucky students who just saw the most excitement they'll see this year.

As I look up, the familiar face surprises me and the way his face changes when he registers tells me that he recognizes me too.

"Hey! It's you!" He grins as he reaches out his hand to help me up. When I accept it, I ignore the way his blue eyes are piercing into me.