~3~ Reggie, My Friend

As I look from face to terrifying face, my eyes settle on the pretty lady. She's the only one that looks like she cares.

Tate is looking at no one as he stares at his clasped hands, and I can't decide if he's scared or angry...He looks so mad.

Pretty lady clears her throat, and Tate continues to look at his hands. "My name is Molly, and I work for DCFS. Do you guys know what that is?"

Tate looks up for the first time and his eyes darken. "We're not 5. Quit beating around the bush and say what you came to say."

Molly nods as she thrums her fingers against a thick manila envelope.

"That's fair... I'm so sorry you two, but yesterday your dad was killed."

After a moment of silence, I wait for the sadness to hit.

It doesn't

"How?" Tate asks, not sounding upset either.

"It would be better if....."

"WHAT DID I JUST SAY ABOUT NOT TREATING US LIKE WE'RE KIDS!" He screams.

Molly doesn't even flinch as she looks at him and nods.

"Your dad was involved in some illegal business, and he made the wrong people angry. He was murdered, and the investigation is ongoing."

As we both let that sink in, the Dean clears his throat. "Is there anything we can do for you two?"

"Like what? Bring him back to life?" Tate snaps, causing the Dean to look at his desk uncomfortably.

"We have been working all night on arrangements for the two of you. Your brother is the only living relative you have, and he has agreed to take you."

Tate's hands clench into fists as he looks up at Molly. "Holden is coming to live here?"

"Uh, no. Since the investigation is ongoing, we have no way of knowing if the two of you are in danger. We will be relocating you to his home in Florida."

Tate looks at me with a fake smile. "He lives in Florida, Jules....."

I didn't even know Holden was still alive. We haven't heard from him in years.

"We have to move?" I ask, speaking for the first time. My voice doesn't sound normal, and I think Tate notices too. He simply takes my hand in his and gives it a gentle squeeze, glaring at Molly.

This is the first time he's ever truly acknowledged me at school, aside from just a few minutes ago in the waiting area.

"I'm sure this is scary Julianne, and also extremely overwhelming. We all feel that removing you and Tate from California and placing you with your brother in Florida will be the safest."

"When?" I whisper.

Molly gives me a sad smile and clears her throat. "You will be on a flight at noon."

"Today?!?!" Tate gasps as he lets go of my hand and sits straight, looking like he's about ready to punch her.

Molly simply nods as she brushes some blonde hair out of her face as she watches Tate carefully. I see the officers stiffen as they watch him too..

"I have a surfing competition to go to tomorrow! And friends...And a damn life that I'm not ready to leave. How the hell can you waltz in here in a tiny pair of pants that are too tight for your ass, and tell us our whole lives have changed...So you put us on a plane and go home to sip on vodka, congratulating yourself on another job well done?"

"Tate, I understa—..."

"You don't understand shit! I'm not leaving!"

She clears her throat and goes to take his hand when he flinches away. "I swear if you touch me, you're gonna need more than these two 'Andy Griffith' cops to stop me from killing you!"