~3~ Deer In Headlights

Julianne's POV

I sit there, feeling stunned. How the heck am I seriously getting myself into trouble? I studied hours for this test. I didn't cheat!

This is crap

"What are you doing in my room, Julianne?"

His icy tone makes my spine straighten and my teeth involuntarily clamp down.

"I...uh..I promise I didn't cheat."

He looks at me with so much confusion and frustration, I get in a trance of fear. Like, the way a deer gets when you're about to smash into them with your car. I know I should move, or do something, but I just stay still, staring into his eyes like headlights.

"You didn't cheat, yet you're holding the answer key? I need more context, Julianne."

"I....I'm sorry. Can I just go to my room?"

"......No......"

I sigh as I cross my legs on the carpeted floor, and just look at him.

I'm completely annoyed

He silently goes to his dresser and pulls out a black T shirt, quickly putting it on and then turning back to me. He comes over and sits down right next to me on the floor.

"You studied a long time for this test, so I don't understand. The answer keys are off limits to you. Always."

"I did study. I promise I didn't cheat."

He nods and tilts his head. "Can I see that for a second?"

I silently hand him the thing that's ruining my life off of Holden's bed, and he glances at it for a moment. "This one is the one with the typo. You grabbed the wrong one."

I'm not sure what he's talking about, and I watch in silence as he reaches for the folder, and then unclasps the chunky paper clip and sifts through papers until he finds my test. He grabs what I assume to be the correct answer key, and starts comparing the two.

"You didn't cheat. You missed number three, but you got number 23 right, and that was the one with the wrong answer on the key."

Dang. How did I get one wrong?

He looks back at me, about to ask more questions, when he rolls his eyes and sifts through the stack of tests once more. I watch as he grabs Tate's test, and compares.

After a few moments, he chuckles darkly and pinches the bridge of his nose. "He didn't cheat either. Failed the damn test, but didn't cheat. At least that's something, huh? Ok Annie, I'm stumped. You and Tate didn't use this, so why do you have....Hold on......."

He digs through the pile a third time until he finds Kenna's. My heart sinks as I watch him, and anger flashes in his eyes as he connects the dots.

"So you got the answer key for her before the test? That makes you just as guilty as she is, Julianne Harper."

"I didn't!" I accidentally slip. I should just take the fall for her so she doesn't have to quit coming here.

"You didn't......" he asks incredulously as he studies my face. "Did she come in my room and get it herself?"

"I don't know," I shrug, and he tightens a muscle in his jaw and blows a breath out through his nose.

"Okay, I've gotta process. You promise me you knew nothing about it?"

"I promise."

"So why did you have it?"

"I....this morning....." sorry Kenna