~57~ Chicken

Holden's POV

"Alright guys, I gotta get to the bar. You sure you're good to hang here all day?"

Tate sighs dramatically as he flops down on the sagging couch. "Yes, Mother Hen....I don't want to spend my entire Saturday at the bar!"

"Ok, but how are you gonna spend your Saturday?"

"Ever hear of being lazy? I'm gonna sit on my ass, eat shit, play video games, and then probably shit what I ate......"

"Fine. But if you decide you're sick of being lazy, I need a phone call. Hear me? I want to know where you're going and who you're with. If not, there will be consequences."

"I swear you're turning into a nagging woman the longer you're our guardian," Tate mutters as he flips on the console.

"Did you hear me?"

"Loud and clear...."

"Annie, what are you going to do?" I ask as I turn to her and watch as she's curled up in the recliner by the window and reading a book.

She simply points to her book, and I nod. "Ok, but same rules apply. You go anywhere or do anything, I want a phone call."

"What if Kenna comes over here?" She asks as she puts her book down and stares at me.

"Still want a phone call," I say as I ignore the explicits coming out of Tate's mouth at the mention of Kenna.

I walk over to her and kiss her dark hair, and then I go over to Tate and kiss him. "Be good."

He salutes me obnoxiously and I blow out a frustrated breath. How much of this is teenage punk, and how much is just punk? I never know how much attitude to let slide.

As I get out into the fresh air, my heart skips a beat just a little. I can't wait to spend the whole day with Nico and Sylvie.

~*~

The atmosphere in the bar doesn't feel quite right when I get in, and I immediately scan the crowd. It's 11am! The bar JUST opened, so there's no way a tourist is already causing trouble!

I look around the bar and see a couple of regulars ordering lunch, and Nico stocking the coolers with beer.

"There's my man!" Nico greets with his cheesy grin as he points to a keg. "Ya always know when I'm needin' muscle!"

"Your biceps are bigger than mine, loser!" I groan as I lift the heavy-ass keg and connect it to the tap.

He snorts as he takes the empty one and lifts it easily in one hand. "Awww, don't be so hard on yo-self, T. Yurs just need a little mo' Miracle Grow sprinkled on 'em. They'll bloom 'fore ya knows it!"

I flip him off as I shut the door that's concealing the keg, and ignore his boisterous laughter as he takes the empty one to the back.

"Hey you!" I say when I turn and see Sylvie filling bar straws, but I stop short when I see her face. Woah! Sylvie never looks mad, unless a patron is getting out of hand.

"Hey," she clips as she turns to fill napkins angrily.

"What's wrong?" I ask as I lean on the counter and try to make eye contact with her, but she's avoiding my stare as she stuffs more napkins in.

"Nothing," she all but snaps as she goes to the back and leaves me with my mouth open. Did I do something wrong?

"She's been feisty since I got here," Nico says as he comes up next to me.

"Do you know why?"

"Nah. She bit my head off for bein' 'too happy' this mornin', so I tapped out. She scares me when she's tiffed."