~45~ Man in the Moon

Julianne's POV

Kenna walks up to Holden after he's done lecturing, and I watch as they talk for a couple of minutes. When she walks back to her seat I look at her.

"My grandma is sick this week. I'm going to stay with you guys."

I simply give her a nod as I turn back to my study guide, and try to focus.

"How long are you grounded for?" Gage asks as he turns in his seat and looks at me.

"Just till next weekend," I say.

"Man...Mr. T is really lenient," he grins.

"Sure he is," I scoff.

"He is, Jules," he says in a weird tone. "After your grounding is over, I want to try our date again."

"I'd like that," I nod.

"Can I ask you something?" He whispers quietly as he leans into me.

At my nod, he continues. "Why are you so mad at your brother?"

I sigh as the bell rings and commotion surrounds us.

"I just am"

~*~

"Did you have a good day, Annie?" Holden asks gently as we get into the house. It's the first he's talked to me, because Kenna talked the entire way home about something. I tuned her out so I honestly don't have a clue what it was.

"It was fine," I say as I sit at the table and open my study guide.

"Micah and Levi are going to the boardwalk. Can I go?" Tate asks as he puts his book bag down on the table and looks at Holden.

"Do you have homework?"

"I always have homework, Holden," he snips.

Holden chuckles as he nods. "If you don't get it done you will lose all of your privileges tomorrow," he warns softly.

"I know..Can I go?"

"Yeah, take the car to the boardwalk."

"Holden, it's a five minute walk," he argues in disgust.

"Do it or you don't go...."

Tate curses under his breath as he texts someone.

"Micah is gonna come and get me," Tate says after a minute.

Holden gives him a look and tilts his head. "You're not gonna drive?"

"It's stupid to drive when it's a five minute walk."

Holden nods as he stares hard at Tate some more. "I'm sorry I can't get us a nicer car, Rex. Maybe one day....."

Tate flinches slightly but smooths his features out quickly. He ignores the comment as he runs to the bathroom, and Holden looks sadly at the floor.

"If he's embarrassed, that's his problem," Kenna finally says, and Holden looks up at her with a sad smile.

When there's a honk outside, Tate heads to the door. "Be back before dark, Rex," he says after him.

"Ok," Tate says as he leaves and shuts the door quickly.

When it's just us, Holden comes over and sits down next to me at the table. "How's it going?"

I sigh as I put my head in my hands. "I hate Jane Austen," I grumble.

Holden chuckles as he takes my book from me and he looks at one of the questions. "What is an example of situational irony in this story?" He reads, and then looks to me for the answer.