Chapter 41

For as ominous as Merene looked, being almost permanently shrouded by fog, there was something just as peaceful about it

For as ominous as Merene looked, being almost permanently shrouded by fog, there was something just as peaceful about it. It felt like being enveloped in a cocoon of sorts, nothing existed outside of what was around you. A bit of peace that made me want to pretend like everything was fine.

"These days I find myself wondering if our decision to hide you away did more harm than good."

I caught my mother's sigh as she surveyed the foggy training grounds around us before giving me a wry smile.

"I had my concerns that none of them would be a good match for you when your father first told me you were a dragon's mate. The possibility of you being forced into a life you didn't want didn't sit well with me."

I smiled softly, my eyes naturally gravitating towards the castle that loomed over her shoulder. If I were to think about it, I'm not sure what I would have wanted back then. It's funny how quickly things change sometimes.

"They're good men." My mother continued. "All of them. Had I known, I never would have had us flee to Tregeron."

"I know." I murmured.

Whether I was agreeing with her admittance of us leaving Nirian or the character of my potential mates didn't matter. I knew my parents had always had my best interests at heart.

"Sometimes I think about those days. When things weren't so... complicated." I exhaled quietly, not to surprised to see my breath as the evening grew colder.

"Want an old lady's advice?"

I huffed a laugh, turning to look at her. The eyes reflected back at me, my own in shape and color.

"Don't complicate things in your control. I know the idea of mates and choosing one of them is daunting, but you'll miss your chance if you dwell on it for too long."

"You make it sound so easy."

She hummed, brushing back a strand of hair caught in the wind.

"What about Serith?"

"Hmm?" I turned a confused gaze her way.

"King Jongho. He seems to give you comfort. I've noticed you often seek him out."

Even if I had wanted to, I couldn't deny her claims. I did tend to gravitate towards Jongho when I needed comfort and reassurance. I've sought him out ever since that night with Yunho.

I nodded, shrugging.

"Yeah. He's a nice guy."

"And so handsome. The two of you would make such beautiful babies."

"Mother!"

She tutted, waving off my incredulous outburst.

"Don't 'mother' me. I've been thinking about it ever since I caught you and the Nirian King together. You know, he wouldn't be a bad choice either. He's also very handsome and he's close to home."