Chapter 1

You didn't know how to feel as you traced the raised weal over your palm

You didn't know how to feel as you traced the raised weal over your palm. It appeared there yesterday seemingly out of nowhere shortly after receiving news of the Kang family's victory over the northern invaders. It was an odd shape. Two half circles overlapping each other, but not connecting. You turned your hand over with a sigh as you continued pulling laundry from the line and folding it neatly into the basket at your feet. It was a beautifully clear and calm day. The complete opposite of the tumultuous storms wreaking havoc over the town the past couple of weeks.

It seemed the war affected our town even being miles away. As if the gods themselves were fighting for territory above your heads. Tregeron was a bustling city sitting in the middle of the eight kingdoms. It wasn't unusual for wars over territory to break out among the eight kingdoms, but Tregeron was considered a neutral zone where neither kingdom would be able to lay claim to it. Collectively, it was known as a peaceful community where any person or being could take shelter. That was assuming, you could reach it. In order to find the town of Tregeron, you had to cross one of the eight kingdoms first which was nearly impossible to do undetected.

All eight kingdoms were heavily guarded not only by the knights which served the royal families, but by the royal families themselves.

Kriton Kingdom. Ruled by the Kim family. The throne was handed to the prince a few years ago and King Hongjoong was rumored to be a merciless soldier. A sort of demon on the battlefield that has said that even the sight of him on it curses you.

Vosta Kingdom belonged to the Park family. Notorious for their skill in wielding long-range weapons such as spears and bows. So silent that many men claim that you won't even know about the target on your back until it's too late. The throne had also been handed down to their only son who has ruled with grace and conviction. King Seonghwa was rumored to be a fair leader but unleashes the wraths of hell upon anyone who crosses him.

Kingdom Nirian was the smallest kingdom, but what they lacked in size they more than made up for in power. There was a reason King Song Mingi had been given the nickname Powerful One. His knowledge of war and unrivaled skill on the battlefield serves as an inspiration to many soldiers hoping to serve one of the kingdoms. To this day, King Mingi and his men have remained victorious, winning any war they've participated in.

Kingdom Lodor neighbored Nirian and it was a well-known fact that King Mingi and King Yunho were close friends. Their parents signed a treaty between the two many years ago and the two current kings upheld it. The two kingdoms had a tendency to fight together too. King Yunho was known as a tyrant. Cutting down any unfortunate soul in his way without remorse or hesitation. After all, Lodor was the stronghold for training and reinforcements. All knights who ever become famous start in Lodor.

Aiwralia Kingdom was famous as a fruitful kingdom where the land was fertile year-round. A wealth of food and clean water came from Aiwralia and it served as a booming merchant trading post. The complete opposite of the other half of the kingdom of Serith which was a barren ice-covered wasteland specializing in weapons craft. Once upon a time, both kingdoms belonged under one ruler, but as the former king couldn't choose between his two sons, Prince San and Prince Jongho, the king split the land in half between the two. Giving Aiwralia to King San and Serith to King Jongho. Matching the difference between the lands they rule, King San was rumored to be a gentle and kind king whereas King Jongho was said to be as cold as the ice which he lives in. The two men, despite being half-brothers, did not get along according to the once united peoples who lived there. And just as the two brothers separated, so did the kingdom. Each side choosing the king they believed should rule over the other.

Kingdom Merene was the site of the most recent war. Bordering the northern most part of the country, many other countries attempted to infiltrate the kingdoms through Merene. All attempts have been unsuccessful as the Kang family that ruled the land championed in defense tactics. King Yeosang was a brilliant mind that garnered much attention for his battle strategies. He was revered among all eight kingdoms and was said to keep good relationships with the other seven kingdoms.

Rainad Kingdom belonged to the Jung family who maintained it as a primary trading town for merchant ships. It specialized in exotic wares and served as an economic staple for the entire country. Most of the town's population consisted of noblemen and women. While being such a bustling city for trade, it also contained the entertainment districts including taverns and playhouses. A playground for the rich if you will. It was ruled by King Wooyoung who was also said to be a king that preferred the joviality and peace of his kingdom versus war. In fact, Rainad was probably the closest to being a neutral kingdom without actually being neutral. Rumors circulated among townspeople about suspicions of Rainad being in close connection with Serith although no such alliance had ever been proven.

The royals held immense power over the country for a reason. The men from all eight families possessed supernatural gifts. Gifts that only passed onto the male offspring. Gifts that allowed the royals to rule for so long because the very idea struck fear into the heart of every man and woman. You paused in your chores feeling the wind shift directions almost instantaneously. Within the next second, a large, dark shadow crept across the lush grass at an inhuman speed as a massive black figure flew over your head hundreds of feet above you, blocking the sunlight. As it passed, a chill went down your spine as you watched it continue its path across the sky towards the east. While you weren't sure which family they belonged to, you knew it could only be one of the eight royals.

After all, they were the only ones known to be able to shapeshift into such fearsome creatures.

Because the royal families had dragon blood flowing through their veins.