Chapter 34

Yeosang POV

Yeosang POV

I ran a hand through my hair utterly exhausted. The last few days have been a test of my patience and while normally a rebellion wouldn't be such a big deal, the fact that the rallying of two factions along the borders of Merene and Lodor meant this one was on a larger scale than we were used to seeing. For now, things were quiet. But I'm worried they're only staying that way simply because the four of us had decided to make camp nearby to quell anything that might arise. Not to mention my temper's threshold is a lot lower considering how long I've been kept away from my mate. It's completely out of character for me, I knew that.

But the more days that passed, the worse I got. Y/N's letters being the only thing to tide me over and bring me back to myself. I can't say I'm the only one though. Whereas a short fuse on my end is unusual, I can't say the same for Yunho. Our men have been avoiding him like the plague. Too afraid to potentially set him off as his mood was almost always sour. Like me, he was ready to wipe his hands of this issue. We all were. The sun had long since dipped below the horizon. Lanterns providing just enough light to stave off the darkness in the middle of camp. The further I walked from the center of the grounds the darker it was. But I didn't mind. There was some comfort in the inky blackness the night gave. I thrived in it. Whether that was a trait belonging more to the dragon half of me, or due to the abilities my human self possessed, I didn't know.

"You know, I'm not sure why you put so much effort into trying to assuage the tempers of people you know won't change." Wooyoung sighed, leaning against a tree right outside my tent as I approached.

He flipped the knife in his hand, fingers nimble as he fed it between each one. I paused to watch him, the action effortless until his eyes lifted from the knife to me. The break in concentration caused it to slip from his grip, the blade plummeting towards the ground. Then suddenly it wasn't, the motion halted a mere few inches from the forest floor, hovering there.

"My job is to prevent violence, not enable it." I muttered, resuming the trek to my tent.

Wooyoung shrugged, holding his hand out over the knife at his feet. It was quick to float up again, returning to its wielder before he pocketed it.

"Where's Jongho and Yunho?"

"On their way."

I rolled my eyes at the noncommittal answer. I guess it didn't really matter. They'd show up sooner rather than later anyway. Within a few feet of the tent entrance, I stopped. Within me I could feel something wrong. My senses on high alert as I looked behind me at Wooyoung. He was frowning, hand lifting to his chest, rubbing it lightly as his gaze found mine.

"Do you feel that?" I asked.

He nodded. "My dragon is restless."

Restless. That's exactly what I was feeling. The agitation from my dragon was overwhelming, resulting in anxiety unlike any I've ever experienced taking over me. I turned, my next words coming out a lot harsher than I intended them to.