Chapter 39

Waking up was the last thing I really wanted to do

Waking up was the last thing I really wanted to do. I couldn't force myself back to sleep even though I was still tired. I peeked through half lidded eyes, only a faint light glowing through the fog outside the window. Having that almost permanent mist low on the land would take some getting used to. Looking at it, it made me feel almost isolated. Not being able to see very far beyond it gave a sense of loneliness I never would have considered. I stretched, turning away from the window. The room was still chilly, goosebumps immediately trailing over my skin when I pulled my arms out from under the blankets. It was toasty in the covers, Jongho providing more than enough warmth. I really wanted to sink back into them.

I shifted a bit closer, hoping my movements wouldn't wake him. One quick peek up at him determined I hadn't. He slept peacefully, the forbearance I was used to seeing from him gone under the guise of sleep. There was no hard set to his jaw or furrow between his brows. He was incredibly handsome. Being able to observe him like this, I could visualize the differences between him and San. Though brothers, the two shared very little in appearances. Just another thing that set the two of them apart from one another. I reached out just enough to let my fingertips brush his chin, delicately running them along his jawline.

The room around me steadily getting brighter as the sun fought its way through the fog. Hints of it caught Jongho's fiery hair, setting the color of it alight. I took a strand of it mesmerized by how soft it was. The rest of me itching to touch more of it.

"If you're waiting for me to ask you to keep touching me, you'll be waiting forever."

I was startled by his voice. The sound of it ladened huskily, heavily with sleep. I pulled back, thinking he would be upset at how cavalierly I had been touching him while he slept. I hadn't retreated but a couple of inches before his hand caught my wrist. I met his eyes, noticing for the first time the flecks of bronze that matched the color of his dragon. He slowly pulled me back to him, letting my fingers delve into his red waves. I curled around them, the sensation of it between my fingers better than I imagined. Emboldened, I moved closer, playing with them freely now that Jongho had more or less given me permission to.

His eyes slipped shut again, a deep exhale shuddering out of him. I wondered if he might go back to sleep under my ministrations. He was content in letting me more or less pet him. Neither of us saying a word while the world around us began to stir with the morning sunrise. I was glad I had come to him last night. I got the sleep I needed, the sleep that I knew I wouldn't have gotten by myself. He comforted me, taking my mind off what had happened and then consoled me. Letting me stay here with him, laying with me when I asked him to. I let my eyes linger over his face again. Taking in every detail shamelessly, while his eyes were still closed.

I tilted my face towards his, and before I could talk myself out of it, I pressed a chaste kiss against his lips. His entire form jerked as if I had electrocuted him. Pulling his lips from mine and eyes flying open to look down at me in shock. His reaction made me flustered. I quickly pulled my hand back, cheeks pink.