Chapter 20

The room was big, but with so many bodies packed into it, it felt much smaller

The room was big, but with so many bodies packed into it, it felt much smaller. It never failed to amaze me how, overbearing, all of their presences were in one room like this. I was kind of glad Yunho wasn't here because his was probably the most intimidating of all. And I was already crumbling in front of them from how tiny I felt. I shared one of the loveseats in the parlor with my mother. The rest of our company circling around us.

Yeosang, San, and Mingi taking a seat on the other loveseat across from us, Hongjoong in an armchair to the left, Jongho choosing to lean against the door that we had come through, Wooyoung perched on one of the other accent tables with one leg bent in a relaxed posture, and Seonghwa stood next to one of the windows. Not looking at anyone and choosing to keep his gaze outside although I was positive he was listening. My mother sighed heavily beside me, my eyes finding hers.

While I was sure mine were pressing for answers as much as everyone else's in the room were, hers were conflicted. Almost as if she was debating whether she should confide in them, or exactly how much she should confide in them I guess I should say.

"I'm not real sure where to begin."

"Tell us where you're from first." Yeosang offered.

I snuck a look at him. He was rigid in his seat, back straight while one leg was draped over the other. His expression was solemn, ready to take in any and all information he was about to be given. And for the first time, I was seeing the king he was raised to be. The unbridled intensity in his eyes made me look away quickly. My gaze drifting over San next who shot me a small smile as a means of comfort.

"We came from Nirian. My husband served under the late king until his untimely death almost a year ago."

Mingi straightened at that. Leaning forward ever so slightly with a sparkle in his bright eyes.

"You're from Nirian?"

My mother nodded in response to his question. The wide smile splitting his features making butterflies erupt from within me as he looked at me with such reverence. Like he couldn't believe he was lucky enough for us to have lived in his kingdom.

"You said almost a year ago. Then that means your husband passed around the same time Mingi's father was murdered." Hongjoong stated.

I could practically see the wind taken from Mingi's sails. His shoulders slumping as he dropped his head and his smile faltered. This new piece of information for me catching me by surprise and my heart ached for the gentle giant. Even more so when I could relate to him so much.

"Yes. My husband was there when it happened. He was killed alongside him."

"How would you know that?"

"Because before he left he told me he had asked for an audience with him. As for the circumstances of his death, a soldier he had been close to informed me as he helped Y/N and I escape to Tregeron."