Chapter 40

While I was hungry, the thought of eating with everyone at the table was less than appealing for one reason in particular

While I was hungry, the thought of eating with everyone at the table was less than appealing for one reason in particular. I wasn't ready to face Seonghwa. I didn't want to put on a façade and pretend everything was okay between us when it wasn't. It sounds like it would require more energy than I have to give after last night. However, I also knew I couldn't avoid him forever.

So, without letting my hesitation linger any longer I pushed my way into the dining hall. As expected, I wasn't surprised to find my mother, along with the six men around the table. However, I was surprised to find Mingi standing next to the empty seat beside my mom.

He turned my way and while we both looked happy to see each other, I didn't miss how utterly exhausted he looked. Despite the tiredness in his gaze though, he instantly smiled at me. He looked as handsome as ever in his loose silver top tucked into his trousers. The color offset his blue hair beautifully, like the colors of his kingdom were meant for him. I didn't waste any time running to him. My body crashed into his, less than graceful, but he caught me without much trouble.

"You're back," I murmured into his chest, my emotions threatening to boil over. "When did you arrive?"

"Early this morning. I would have come to find you, but I thought it might be better to let you sleep." His deep baritone voice was an audible comfort I hadn't realized I missed so much.

Mingi's embrace became stronger, his nose finding its way into my hair as he breathed in deeply. I could feel some of the tension leaving his body as he held me tightly.

"I'm so sorry I wasn't there," He murmured. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Yunho worked his magic on me."

Mingi wrapped his fingers around my previously injured arm, pulling it from where I held onto him to inspect it. His thumb dragging over the scars, the only evidence of what had happened. My hand covered his, a small smile greeting him when I looked up. I was hoping it conveyed that it was something he shouldn't worry about. I might not be over the emotional scars that it brought, but at least my physical wounds had been healed.

"I'm okay," I reassured him, looking around for the only other missing party as a distraction. "Did Hongjoong come back with you?"

"I'm here," the man himself answered, strolling through the dining room doors.

It wasn't just Mingi, he looked just as tired. The dark circles apparent under his eyes, the color in them lacking luster, as he let himself fall into one of the seats heavily.

"Any news?" Yeosang asked, while Mingi guided me to the table.

I had a hard time keeping my attention off Hongjoong. He didn't bother making himself a plate. His hand coming up to rub away some of the tiredness as he answered Yeosang.

"Nothing. There was more than just the one man who went after Y/N, but they quickly fled. We attempted to track them, but we were unsuccessful. They seemed to have extensive knowledge of the castle layout, but we aren't sure how. Mingi and I spent the last couple of days investigating anyone suspicious. So far, we don't have anything substantial against anyone."