Chapter 5

Yeosang's hand never left my shoulder as he hustled me out into the busy streets again heading further out of town

Yeosang's hand never left my shoulder as he hustled me out into the busy streets again heading further out of town. I didn't pay much attention to our surroundings as my thoughts were preoccupied with the other two and mother. Even though I was worried, they would be fine. I saw what these men were capable of back there. If she was going to be safe with anyone it would be them.

I pulled myself out of my head long enough to notice the tavern sign above my head as we entered. Before I could voice my confusion, Yeosang ushered me towards the back of the rowdy business to the stairs. He nodded for me to go up scanning the crowds behind me as the other five men did the same. I hesitantly ascended the stairs surprised to find several open rooms above the bar. A hand came down across my shoulders belonging to San as he guided me into one of them.

"It should be safe to talk in here." He whispered.

The room was small for seven people to be in at the same time, but San let me have the couch in one corner of the room. He took a seat next to me looking to Yeosang who looked to be deep in thought. Jongho took his spot next to the window watching the excited townspeople still celebrating. The one man I hadn't heard speak yet stood beside the door, gaze locked onto me. The intensity in his eyes made me uncomfortable and it took conscious effort not to squirm beneath his stare.

A heavy sigh followed by Yunho throwing himself into the chair across from me finally broke the hold over me. Yunho still glowered and I was beginning to think that was how he always looked. Before the atmosphere could get any more intense, I turned to San.

"So what happens now?"

He ran his hand through his pink hair letting out a soft chuckle. The action mesmerized me and as embarrassing as it was, I stared. His sharp features were a sight to behold. Any woman would be captivated by him, I was sure of it. My eyes drifted down his face to his neck and chest before the pendant on his left breast caught my attention. Coat of arms covered in purple flames.

Almost instantly I felt my face go pale. I jumped off the couch nearly knocking Yeosang over as I scrambled away from him. Yeosang let out a harsh breath as my back collided with his chest and we both stumbled backwards. His hands gripped my shoulders to steady me.

"Are you okay?"

I didn't answer, my eyes still glued to San's pendant. San stood up quickly with concern etched into his features. He reached out, but before he could touch me I dropped to my knees and cast my eyes down.

"Y-Your highness." I stuttered closing my eyes tightly.

"So she does have some sense after all." Yunho chuckled darkly.

The realization that I was in the presence of not just one but six of the nation's most powerful rulers made me want to shrink into myself. How did I not realize sooner? But for all of them to be in Tregeron was incredibly unusual. Not to mention they were all dressed like commoners. Almost as if they were trying to remain inconspicuous. I worried my bottom lip as I wracked my brain for answers. A finger hooked underneath my chin raising my face to his. San's smile was kind as he looked down at me.

"Don't worry princess. We won't bite."

"Speak for yourself." The dirty blonde giggled behind him.

I pulled my chin from his grasp and took a shuddering breath. I was sitting in the room with six of the eight kings. Kings who not only controlled their respective thrones but were also descendants of the dragon. Mighty rulers who struck fear into the hearts of men on the battlefield. And you cut one of them. I winced as the memory of stabbing Mingi with the letter opener burst its way to the forefront of my memory. Oh God. I'm so dead when he gets back.

"I-I'm so sorry for a-anything I might have said t-to offend you." I tried to apologize bravely, ducking my head further and bowing to them.

"It's fine. We have more pressing matters to discuss anyway." Yeosang spoke up from behind me.

He took a seat on the couch that I was sitting on turning to me with a serious expression.

"Are you familiar with the history of dragons?"

I cast a hesitant gaze across the other men in the room before refocusing on Yeosang.

"A little. I know you all are descendants of dragons and that it's only passed down to male children."

He nodded. "Correct. Males are the only ones with the genes for complete transformation to their dragon counterparts."

"Part of the reason for that is because dragons cannot have female offspring." Yunho said.

"Why is that?" I asked perplexed.

"Because in order for dragons to have children they must be mated. To a human woman."

"Not just any human woman though. A woman that bears the mark of the dragon." Yeosang watched me carefully as he tilted his head in my direction. "A mark like the one you have on your hand."

I blinked at him slowly. What? The intense eyes of everyone in the room were beginning to get to me as I tried to wrap my head around what he was telling me. Suddenly, a laugh bubbled from between my lips. My laughter filled the room, but I quickly tamped it down when my eyes met Yunho's who looked less than pleased by my outburst.

"This?" I asked covering the weal on my palm. "You're joking. This isn't a mark. It's a burn from cooking or something." I trailed off as no one moved or said anything.

A burn you don't remember getting.

I waved the thought away running my thumb over the mark.

"Oh? Maybe you're right. Only one way to find out." Yunho grinned evilly.

"Yunho." Yeosang glared at him.

"What? We know she shares the bond with Mingi already since he confirmed it, but what about the rest of us?" he rolled his eyes.

Bond? With Mingi? I was confused about what they were talking about.

"Exactly. She shares the bond with Mingi which means she most likely doesn't share it with the rest of us." San sighed casting a pitiful look my way.

"Only one way to find out." The man with gorgeous dirty blonde hair repeated, walking towards me.

As he approached, he pulled a dagger from his belt flipping it in his hand to grasp the hilt.