Chapter 6

The sight of the knife kicked my heart into high gear as I immediately put my hands up in surrender and backed away

"W-wait!" I gasped.

Oh God. Was this him coming to kill me after everything I did and said to them? Instead of thrusting the dagger towards me for the killing blow, he dragged it across his palm quickly. I hissed in pain as scorching heat spread throughout my hand radiating from the mark. I cradled it close to me and looked down expecting to find a wound of some kind, but there was nothing. I frowned wondering what the heck just happened. Then I remembered the same thing had happened back in that merchant shop with Mingi.

"That settles it. Wooyoung is bonded to her too. I guess Mingi has some competition." San said shooting a wink to the blonde man, Wooyoung.

"Bonded. What does that mean?"

San's gaze turned back to me. Before he could answer though, he was cut off by Jongho.

"It means that dragons can only mate with humans who display their bond. The easiest way to determine whether a mark bearer and a dragon share a bond is pain. The dragon's soul is intertwined with the human's meaning that they can sense each other and feel their emotions. The emotional part has to be developed. The physical connection, however, is expressed immediately. The moment the dragon and human meet, the physical connection is established."

"So, when they were cut I felt it too because we share a bond?"

Jongho nodded. "It works both ways. They would be able to feel it if you were hurt too."

This new information was overwhelming, and I needed to sit down before I passed out. I took a seat in an empty chair trying to sort through my thoughts. I shared a bond with two of the dragon kings. So, I was...mated to them? The thought made me scrunch my nose in distaste. Somehow the idea didn't sound very appealing to me. They were kings. Royalty. I was a commoner that wasn't even supposed to be here in the first place. I remember my father telling me to keep my head down and stay out of trouble.

The six men sitting in front of me definitely spelled trouble. Now however, I didn't really have a choice. It was these men who have shown an express interest in keeping me safe, for now, or the thugs that currently wanted me for unknown albeit I'm sure heinous reasons. Was I safe though? Even being in the room with six of the nation's fiercest leaders was making me uneasy. In part because of who they were and partially due to the nature in which I ended up in their care in the first place. Bonded. My eyes flickered up to Wooyoung who was currently in heated conversation with San across the room.

Never would I have anticipated how much an hour of time could change my life. What would this mean for me? Or my mother? What happens after we leave here? The number of questions piling up one after the other was beginning to make my head hurt. The familiar pounding behind my temples would soon be unbearable if I couldn't take my mind off it. I looked away from Wooyoung not wanting to think about him or the mark anymore. As my eyes moved from his figure, it was caught by the sharp glare of the man who still had yet to speak standing next to the door. His dark eyes made me uncomfortable and as much as I didn't want it to be known, he intimidated me. The brilliantly crafted dark green pendant on his chest reflected the little light shining through the window casting an emerald gleam across his fair skin. The bow and arrow carved into the center of it gave away his kingdom. Vosta. I cast my eyes down quickly, looking at my hands folded in my lap.

I tried to tune out everyone around me. Everything was so overwhelming in this moment that I just wanted it all to go away. What I wouldn't give for this to be some kind of fever dream. I pinched my hand just to be safe, but they didn't disappear. Everyone was still here, and the situation was still real. Suddenly, the door burst open, slamming against the wall behind it making me jump in surprise. Mingi stood there, his large build taking up the entire door frame. He spoke harshly over his shoulder before turning to everyone in the room. His eyes met mine for a brief moment before he stepped to the side, ushering in whoever was behind him. The familiar frizzy golden curls bringing tears to my eyes as I shot off the couch towards my mom.

"Y/N!" she cried wrapping me up in her arms tightly.

I buried my face in her neck as I let a shuddering breath escape me. I hadn't realized until now how much of a relief it was to have her here with me. My mind wasn't so clouded and my feelings no longer attempted to drown me with the uncertainty of everything happening. She pulled back taking my face between her hands.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded grasping her wrists, removing her hands so I could hold them in mine.

"I'm fine mom. These men saved me."

She pulled me into another hug.

"Thank goodness. I was so scared that something had happened to you."

"As nice as this reunion is, we've got a problem." The short, silver-haired man grunted as he slammed the door shut again.

"Those men are here. They followed us from Y/N's mothers."

My heart rate spiked as I looked between him and Mingi.

"Damn it." Yunho cursed making his way towards the door. "Hongjoong, you're with me. We'll hold them off at the stairs. Mingi and Wooyoung, make a path so we can escape. The rest of you on Y/N and her mother. Don't let them out of your sight."

With those words, Yunho and the silver-haired man were out the door. Once they were gone, Yeosang closed the door and slid the lock into place. Seconds later, the sound of gunshots followed by screams could be heard from the tavern below sending chills down my spine. I gripped my mom's hand harder backing both of us further from the doorway.

"Well, no time like the present!" Wooyoung grinned waltzing to the window.

He threw the panes open before turning to Mingi with a smirk.

"Ladies first."

Mingi rolled his eyes before shoving him out of the way and climbing through the open window. I watched in horror as he jumped from the second floor with Wooyoung right behind him. I was shaking my head as Yeosang approached the two of us gently nudging us toward the window. The third person out of it was Jongho, followed by San who cackled as he lunged out of it.

"Your turn." Yeosang said after confirming someone was below the window to catch us.

My mom squeezed my hand giving me a small smile.

"Let's go Y/N. We have to."

My fear kept me rooted to the floor as I watched my mother willingly balance herself on the ledge of the window with help from Yeosang. In less than a second, she was gone as she pushed off the sill to the road below.

"Okay Y/N. Your turn."

I shook my head violently backing away. There was no way in hell I was jumping out of a window on the second floor.

"Y/N. We have to go now. Yunho and Hongjoong can only buy us so much time."

"Are you crazy!? I'll break my leg jumping down from this height!"

"No, you won't. Jongho is down there ready to catch you."

The knowledge that the King of Serith was waiting to catch me down there didn't do anything to ease my nerves. I shook my head again backing further away from Yeosang and the window ready to bolt when hands clamped around my arms halting my movements. I whipped my head around coming face to face with the King of Vosta who stared down at me coldly as he shoved me in the direction of the window.

"No! Let go of me!" I yelled panicking as I was unable to escape his firm hold.

He effortlessly picked me up bridal style, his heavy boots thumping the wood floors like a gong signaling my doom. I continued to struggle, unsuccessfully as we neared the window ledge. I wrapped my arms around his neck tightly deciding that if he wasn't going to put me down, he would be going with me. Yeosang broke my hold from around Seonghwa's neck and nodded to the taller man at the same time he announced to Jongho to be ready.