new beginnings

After the long flight, Gisele desperately a sleep, it didn't matter where, she just wanted to sleep comfortably in a bed, but sadly she couldn't. She was already running late for her interview.

Once out of the airport, she quickly caught a cab and shoved her bag into the back seat, not bothering to put it in the back.

"How fast can you get to Seattle Grace Mercy West."

"It's not too far... maybe 10-15 minuets away."

She nodded, "Okay, I won't be too late."

After managing to bribe the cab driver to go over the speed limit if she's pay him double. Halting to a stop in front of the hospital, she quickly payed the driver grabbing her bag, rushed out of the car and into the hospital, she walked up to the nurses station and asked for the chief.

"I'm looking Dr. Hunt."

"That's me," a red headed man wearing a white coat, "You must be Dr. Shepherd."

He held out his hand and shook hers, "Yes, nice to meet you."

"Any relation to Dr. Derek Shepherd?" He began leading them toward the conference-room, closeting the door behind him.

She took a seat, setting her bag down by her feet and groaned inwardly at his question. It was always one of the first questions she was asked, "He's my brother."

Shock flashed through his face but it was gone just as quick, "He didn't say anything about his sister visiting or even mentioned about you showing interest in our surgical residency program," he said as he sat down across from her.

"Derek's not one to brag."

He nodded and grabbed the folder in front of him and glanced over what she assumed was her application, "This is impressive, you graduated high school and college from NYU at 15, then graduated top of your class from David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA at 19," he read before looking up from the folder, "Why did you rush through school?"

Another question that's frequently asked, she thought, "Well all my siblings are doctors and significantly older than me. And I've always wanted to be like them especially my sister, who's also a neurosurgeon. I wanted to be a grown up, like them. Not just the baby of the family."

"Why didn't you start your internship right after med school? You would've been a fellow or an attending by now."

"I burned out and fell out of love with medicine and did some traveling for a few years."

"And a year ago you studied neurosurgery and fetal surgery at Seaside Health and Wellness in Los Angeles for six months." He said.

"I studied fetal surgery for six and neuro for three than left because I wasn't needed any longer."

He furrowed in confusion, "You were no longer needed?"

"I went to Los Angeles for personal reasons, and once those reasons were resolved I left."

"Then you went to Africa to work with Doctors Without Boarders."

She nodded, "Yes, for three months due to the end of our agreement."

A beep came from his pager, he looked at it and Gisele knew it was an emergency, "Sorry, but I have to go, it's emergent," he stood up, leaned over he table and shook her hand, "you'd be a great match here. Excuse me." He apologized and rushed out of the room.

Grabbing her bag and standing up, she exited the conference room. She had asked a nurse where Derek was, and was currently roaming the halls of the hospital looking for her brother. Stopping in front of another conference room, where two men were having an intense ping pong match, instantly recognizing one of the men as her brother even though his back was facing her due to his hair, gently placing her hand on the handle and quietly opening the door, she caught the attention of the young black man she assumed was an intern, she held a finger to her lips, silently telling him to be quiet. He discreetly nodded and continued with the game, Gisele quickly made her way over to Derek and covered his eyes with her hands.