Moonchild 💦- 49

A week or so later you stirred in the middle of the night, blinking and wondering what had woken you. It seemed so bright in the room and you stood from your bed, grabbing a pair of soft pants off the floor and tugging them on with your tank top before moving to stand by the window. The moon was full and the light coming through the open curtains lit up the room like daylight. You closed them so the rest would be able to sleep and then you left, wanting something to drink now that you were awake. You padded down stairs into the kitchen and stood at the sink with a glass of water, looking out into the backyard of the house. You squinted when you saw movement and tiny burning orange light outside and curiously set down your glass, moving to the door.

You opened it and peered out into the night to see a boy lying on his back in the grass, dragging lightly on a cigarette. He had one long leg stretched out and the other bent and he glanced over when he heard the door open and exhaled smoke out his nostrils, turning his head back toward the sky.

"Caught me," he said, stretching an arm up and tucking it back as a headrest.

"What are you doing?" You asked, crossing the yard to meet him, the cool dew of the night dampening your bare feet in the grass.

Namjoon shrugged. "I just like to come out here and look at the sky sometimes."

You flopped down on the grass next to him, ignoring the cool chill of the soft, moist earth beneath the bare skin of your shoulders and relaxed, as you bathed in the moonlight with him.

"It's a full moon," Namjoon murmured after taking another pull of his cigarette, blowing the smoke away into the breeze. He offered it to you and you accepted, putting it to your lips and sucking a deep drag, inhaling it into your lungs and holding it for a beat before exhaling the smoke out into the night air.

"It's beautiful," you replied softly, handing the cigarette back to him. You immediately felt the nicotine rushing through your bloodstream, bubbling down to the tips of your toes and you exhaled contentedly, your face relaxing. You reached your hand for him, searching until you found his and he let you take it, the two of you holding hands quietly as you looked up at the sky, basking in the moonlight and each other's quiet company.

"Are you happy here with us?" Namjoon asked you after he had put out his cigarette and tossed the butt in the direction of the ashtray on the patio. You turned your head to look at him, but found him just staring up at the sky, his eyes traveling over every star, his brow heavy and serious. He finally looked over at you, his features softening as he saw your face in the moonlight.

"Of course I am Namjoon. The seven of you are the best thing that's ever happened to me," you told him softly. You watched his face relax into an easy grin and he squeezed your hand.

"I'm glad Gray. You really bring something special to this house, and you've opened us up - opened me up - and made us...even closer. We love having you here," he said. He turned his head and looked back up at the sky and you couldn't help feeling a little sad. They loved having you here. Was that all?

"Namjoon," you whispered into the night, the only other sound the soft noises of the wind blowing through the grass and rustling the trees. He looked over at you again, waiting for you to go on.

"I...I love you," you whispered, the cool light of the moon and the comfort of the grass making you confident. He blinked.

"You love us?"

You furrowed your brow. "Well yes but - I mean. You, I love you. I love the others too but," you grunted in frustration and pushed up on your elbow to face him. "But I'm telling you, right now. Namjoon, I love you," you repeated, looking down at him. You watched understanding bloom over him in the moonlight, the planes of his face highlighted in white. He reached up and softly brushed a strand of your hair back.