PvP

(We hear clanks of turning gears found over the headmaster's office, with Professor Ozpin himself walking back to his desk and pouring himself a drink from his teapot as he watches the Vytal Festival Tournament's roulette system deciding the next match)

Oobleck: (over the broadcast) Alright, it's now time to begin the randomization process for our next fight!

Port: It looks like our first contender is... Penny Polendina, from Atlas! And her opponent will be... Pyrrha Nikos, from Beacon!

(Ozpin seats himself behind his desk and takes a sip from his cup as he stares at the "randomized" fight to be. Down in the arena of Amity Colosseum, Pyrrha is still looking hesitant and distracted while Penny politely salutes her opponent)

Penny: (hands on her hips in excitement) Sal-u-tations, Pyrrha Nikos! It's an honor to finally meet you!

(The troubled Pyrrha doesn't respond, looking at her hands as she clenches them in attempted determination)

Penny: (not noticing Pyrrha's reluctance) This is going to be so much fun!

(straightening in shock at the revelation alongside Oobleck, and with Ozpin standing up from his chair back at Beacon)

Port: No!

(While the remains of Penny's missing arm spark with electricity from the exposed wiring inside, her big green irises, now looking like camera shutters, slowly expand so her dark, lifeless pupils take up most of her eyes with the sound of a machine shutting down)

Brawl: She was a robot.

Swindle: I can't believe this.

Blastoff:(I can believe it they make a living machine and now she gone)

Vortex: This can't be happening.

Onslaught: if she was a robot and everyone just was it that mean that the Grimm will come.

(Miles away in Mountain Glenn, Grimm of all kinds turn toward the Colosseum, and begin to charge. Finally, Ruby turns a corner and emerges from the service tunnel, only to see with her own eyes that she is far too late.

Ruby: (falling to her knees) Penny.

(she begins to cry, the tears fall as she sobs miserably. The levitating arena is lowered back into place under the spotlights, and Mercury appears behind the weeping Ruby, grinning widely at his success in delaying her before stepping back into the Colosseum's maintenance area. Ruby tenses slightly as she hears his footsteps, but slumps forward once again as the door noisily swings shut)

Oobleck: (putting a hand up to his ear) Broadcast, what are you doing? Kill the feed!

Broadcast Op: (over the earpiece) Something's wrong! We don't have control of the cameras! We can't even stop the broadcast!

Oobleck: What!? How is that possible!?

(In answer, the background behind the two teachers changes to the video feed of the sight before them, tinted an ominous bright red with a black queen chess piece hovering over the scene. They turn back to the arena as a familiar voice rings out throughout the Colosseum and the rest of the world watching these events)

Cinder: This is not a tragedy. This was not an accident. This is what happens when you hand over your trust, your safety, your children, to men who claim to be our guardians, but are, in reality, nothing more than men. Our Academies' Headmasters wield more power than most armies, and one was audacious enough to control both.