Lessons Learned

(At Beacon courtyard at dusk, with Weiss, Onslaught and Ruby running up the main avenue towards the docking bays)

Ruby: (running to catch up with her partner) Weiss! What is the big deal!? Who is it? Who is she!?

Onslaught: Yeah Weiss? You never looked this happy.

Weiss: Winter.

(They watch as Winter, escorted by Atlas Soldiers and Atlesian Knight-200's as she exits her airship)

Ruby: Wait... Your sister?

Onslaught: Iornwoods second in command.

Weiss: Winter! (the two then run up to the elder Schnee as she turns to see them) Winter! I'm so happy to see you! Oh. Your presence honors us.

Winter: (looks around as she approaches them) Beacon. It's been a long time. The air feels... different.

Ruby: I mean it is fall, so, eh, it's probably colder.

Weiss: (punches Ruby in the shoulder) So, what are you doing here?

Winter: Classified.

Onslaught: Well, how long are you staying?

Winter: Classified.

Weiss: Of course. (nods and smiles in understanding)

Ruby: (looks pensively around in the silence) Well... this is nice... I think.

Onslaught: You can say that again.

Weiss: (excitedly) You're going to love it here! I know you travel a lot, but so much of Beacon is different from Atlas! (discreetly whispers) Vale, too. The government and school are completely separate! Can you believe it!? I-

Winter: I'm more than familiar with how this kingdom handles its... bureaucracy. That is not why I came.

Weiss: Right! I'm sorry!

Winter: Nor did I come here to watch my own blood fail so miserably in battle. But it appears that I have no choice in the matter.

Weiss: (puzzled) But, we won!

Winter: Only a novice would refer to that as a victory. I counted at least three strikes missed.

Onslaught: Well it doesn't matter how many strikes you get so long as you win.

Winter: Leave us.

(The AK-200s obey, walking two steps backwards into formation as she sighs and smiles a little more warmly at Weiss)

Winter: How have you been?

Weiss: Oh, splendid! Thank you for asking. I'm actually in the very top ranking of our sparring class! And the rest of my studies are going wonderfully, too! I'm—

Winter: (slaps Weiss, leaving a massive bump on her head) Silence, you boob! I don't recall asking about your ranking, I'm asking how you've been. Are you eating properly? Have you taken up any hobbies? Are you making new friends?

Weiss: Well, there's Ruby. Onslaught.

Ruby: (giggles as she pushes the lump back into Weiss' head) Heh, boob.

Winter: I see. So this is the leader you wrote of. How appropriately... underwhelming.

Ruby: Uh... Thank you!

Winter: Greetings, Ruby Rose. I wish to thank you for taking an interest in my sister.

Ruby: Oh! Uh, yes, of course! The honor is in my. court!

Onslaught: And I'm Onslaught.

Winter: Onslaught as in the same one whose team fought off an invasion of Grimm in the tunnels and who also formed that giant?