Chapter 45

*Knock knock*

Two solid knocks wake me from my slumber. I rise from the pillow, glancing next to me to find Scarlett not laying by my side.

"Come in." I yawn.

Birdy comes in with a weak smile and a single plate of breakfast.

"Good morning Ms. Lilith, how did you sleep dear?"

I recall the events of last night in my head, Taylor and Scarlett, Scarlett getting upset and going upstairs, Birdy walking me upstairs, then when I came in, she was already asleep in bed.

I eventually fell asleep next to her at some point last night.

"Fine I guess." I deadpan.

"Do you know where Scarlett is?"

Birdy sets the plate of breakfast down the bed next to me, taking a seat on the sheets.

"She was up quite early this morning, she said she wanted to go for a walk and get some air. I suppose she's just down the path down by the river, it's always been her place to think when she was younger."

Outside the window there was a dirt path that led into the forest of trees outside the manor where Scarlett must be.

"I guess you don't suggest I should go after her, do you." I silently sigh still looking out the window.

"Quite the contrary dear, I think you should find her and talk to her." Birdy smiles.

My eyes shift over to the plate of breakfast sitting next me on the bed.

"I will eat then go out to talk to her."

Birdy leaves me with a smile and a nod. After last night, I wasn't sure what to make of any of the situation.

Seeing Scarlett so upset over Taylor and her sudden distance from me was so unlike her and I hated seeing it.

It didn't take long for me to scarf down my breakfast and throw some warm clothes on as I quickly headed downstairs, out the door.

A cold chill on snowflakes landed on my face while I followed the path into the forest where Birdy directed me.

It must have snowed last night due to the grass that covered the ground, painted in snow and ice.

Down in my walk I begin to feel less hopeful as there was no sign of her on the river that lightly was frosted over.

I turned around to head back when I found her pressed up against a tree with her head facing the river, she hasn't noticed me yet.

"It's beautiful, no wonder you come out here to think."

Scarlett's body jumps in surprise, her head snapping around back at me.

"How did you find-... Birdy." She mutters.

"Ding ding." I lightly tease.

She glances away from me back to the river, saying nothing more.

I slowly sit next to her, ignoring how cold the ground under me was. We sit together in silence for a couple of moments, just staring out past into the snow-covered forest ahead of us.

"Do you want to talk about last night?" My voice slightly echoing.

Scarlett gives a hesitant expression as she opens her mouth to speak.

"I'm not sure that there is much to talk about." She states shortly.

Is there not?
"I woke up this morning and you were gone. I fell asleep last night without you saying a word to me. I deserve to know why you're being so distant all of the sudden."

The tension between us felt like two alike sides of a magnet repelling away from one another.

"Please Scarlett, please answer me. I need to hear your voice right now."

I needed more than just that; I needed us to be okay but right now everything felt far from okay.

"Now just isn't a good time Lilith."

I could hear the pain from inside her voice, it was obvious even when she tried to disguise it.

Pain swelled inside my heart just by seeing her eyes not able to reach mine.

"What do you need from me Scarlett, just tell me what to do I will oblige with it." I croak.

Tears began to form in her eyes, her face still trying to avoid mine. I felt tears blurring my vision as well and my throat began to choke up.

"I just need to think right now, I need time..."

Time... What can time do that I can't.

"Are you telling me to leave?"

She stays silent.

"Scarlett." I demand.

Finally, she looks over at me and her whole world shatters in just a second.

"I just need space for now. I'm sorry li-"

I get up before she could finish, my tears felt like cold rain against my cheeks as I rushed back through the forest without looking back.

I knew it was wrong to leave her but if space what she wanted then I needed to give her that. No matter how much it hurt, her feelings matter just as much as mine do, and I'll wait for however long she needs to be okay.

I didn't know if she still loved Taylor or if she still wanted her back, but I couldn't handle the thought of hearing her say those words to me. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone! I have been getting a lot of new readers recently and my story has been getting a lot of new attention which I am incredibly grateful for. If you enjoy my story and are following along, thank you all so much and I have big plans for this story in the future! Have a goodnight/day!