Chapter 8

It has been five days since Ms. Lenore offered me a job as her secretary and my time to give her an answer was almost up. I knew that I would say yes due to the fact that I would be a fool to pass up an opportunity such as this one.

Every night since the first night we met, all I could think about was her.

Her essence captivated me in a way that no one else has before causing me to want more of her. Deep down I knew what I was feeling was highly forbidden in many ways.

The first being the simple fact that I was already in a relationship with Cullen that still doesn't feel real to me. The second being she would be my future boss and she is so much older than I am.

My feelings were wrong in many ways, yet I still could not let the thought of her go.

My leg bounced under the table I sat at in a coffee shop near Seattle, staring out the foggy window.

I am supposed to meet Cullen this morning for coffee before I let Ms. Lenore my final decision about the job.

Since our last conversation about the matter, he has not brought it up or tried to change my mind.

I think Cullen is scared that I will overtake his job and that us being in such a close proximity could damage our relationship.

From the conner of my eye, I spot his car pull into the drive of the coffee shop.

As he stepped out of his car, I could tell he put effort into how he looked this morning.

Fingers subtly dressed in fine silver rings that matched his long coat that draped over a black turtleneck. Cullen ran his hand through his hair while he walked towards the door until he noticed a woman behind him racing to avoid the upcoming rainstorm.

Cullen quickly raced to the door and opened it for her before she could, smiling generously at her as she entered. I was a few tables away, but I could hear their conversation.

"Oh my, thank you sir. This weather with be the death of me." She giggled.

She was quite young, perhaps early twenty's but most definitely older than Cullen which aggravated me that she would call him sir of all things.

"Haha no problem miss, you must not be from around here if this weather bothers you so much." Cullen grinned eagerly.

"How did you know? I'm actually from California, I just moved here but you are good at reading people."

Annoyance took over me as I waited longer and longer for Cullen to shut this conversation down and walk over to me but instead, he kept standing there and smiling at her.

Something was wrong though; this was not the "not interested but being polite" smile he would usually give girls who hit on him. This was the same smile he would give me.

"Let me buy you a coffee as a thank you for saving me from the treacherous rain at least." Her mouth smirked.

I could see Cullen carefully glancing around the shop to spot me and when he did the realization that he had been caught set onto is face.

"I'm very sorry but I'm actually meeting someone." Cullen replied politely.

I could see her expression change slightly as she glanced around for a moment to see who he is meeting but she returned to him.

"Well, that's okay."

Out of her pocket she pulled out a piece of paper and pen and started writing something down.

"Here's my number so you can give me a rain check on that coffee, mystery man."

Before Cullen even had a chance to react, she was already headed out the door. His eyes lingered on her as she exited for just a few moments too long before brushing it off and making his way over to me.

"Meet a new friend." I hiss under my breath.

By the look he just gave me, I could tell he was not in the mood for my bullshit.

"Can you stop, I was just being polite."

"What, so now I can't be the jealous overprotective girlfriend? Isn't this what you wanted?"

He flashed me a warning look, but I ignored it, I knew I was right, and Cullen was wrong for this.

"Look, we have more important matter to discuss before you go and sign your life away to Satan herself."

Immediately I knew he was referring to Ms. Lenore although it struck me off guard he would talk that way about his own boss, even behind her back.

I couldn't help but scoff at his words.

"You act like she's the worst thing to ever happen to you when she pays your rent. I happen to think she's a very lovely and inspiring women."

"That's because you don't know her like I do Lilith, this whole thing is just a show before she tears you to shreds." Cullen rasps.

Instead of having some snarky come back, I simple roll my eyes before returning my focus to the window.

One half of me thinks Cullen is right and maybe this is all just a show before she turns cold to me and uses me, but the other half thinks Ms. Lenore is more than what she seems, and I want to know the women behind the stern cold persona.

"Listen Lilith, I understand this is a big opportunity, but I am advising you from someone who works for her, you do not want to get involved with her. It's just not ethical."

"And what do you know about ethical Cullen? What is that piece of paper in your pocket?" I snap back.

He bites the inside of his check to refrain from saying anything else.

"At least let me go in with you when you tell her. It would be wrong of me to just send you in there blindly."

I consider Cullen's request, him going in would make me seem no more than a weak little girl who needs someone to guide her. I want to present myself as independent, confident, and assured.

"I'm sorry Cullen but this is something I have to do alone though I do appreciate your concern, I will be fine."

Carefully, he nods his head, avoiding any further arguments between the two of us.

The drive to Ms. Lenore's office was not too far but most certainty felt like ages with the bitter silence.

Just beyond the foggy cloud that covered the city, I could see the large skyscraper building that felt oddly familiar by now. My heart began to start pounding knowing what would come next.