Chapter 30

"You seem nervous." Cullen glances over to me from the driver seat.

Outside the passenger seat window was a fancy restaurant Scarlett had made everyone meet up at for the New Years party tonight.

"I'm not nervous, just exhausted." I deadpan.

Tonight, was important to Scarlett and I knew that but with how rocky things have been with Cullen recently, I was not in the mood to spend tonight pretending to be his perfect girlfriend and not Scarlett's affair.

"Let's just try to make the best out of tonight, okay?" He puts his hand on mine, rubbing his thumb over my knuckle.

All I could imagine in this moment was how and I wished his hand was Scarlett's right now and how bad I wish this friend of his would not show up tonight.

Stepping out of the car, Cullen comes around taking my hand in his to guide us in.

I spent hours trying to look my best tonight, doing my hair, makeup, and then to top it all off, wearing the red dress Scarlett had bought for me. Cullen thought I looked nice, but I didn't care about his validation or even what he thought about how I looked.

Inside was a large open bar with dim lighting and at the hostess stand stood a man in a suit who greeted us both with a nodding smile.

"Lenore Enterprises?" He asks politely.

I stand beside Cullen with some distance to allow him to speak.

"Yes."

"Right this way please."

We follow the hostess through a hallway leading into a private event room and inside was a large table big enough to seat at least twenty people.

Navy blue flora wallpaper surrounded the room until my eyes fell on Scarlett who sat at the other end of the table, speaking to a few other employees I didn't recognize.

"Looks like the she devil herself is on time for once." Cullen mutters in my ear.

I nearly spin around to retort something snarky back to him so I can defend Scarlett, but I bite my tongue knowing it wasn't worth the trouble.

We make our way around the table and Scarlett finally notices my presences and waves me over to a seat next to her.

"Should I be looking for a seating chart?" I joke.

She rolls her eyes playfully at me, Cleary unamused by my sarcasm.

"Just sit-down Carlisle, have a drink perhaps."

She slides me a glass of what looks to be alcohol.

"You know I'm underage right? What even is that?"

Placing myself next to her, Cullen makes his way sitting on the other side of me, greeting some other coworkers of ours.

"Champagne Darling." She whispers in my ear.

The cold shover ran down my spine as her breath caressed my skin like a ghost's touch.

Around us, no one is even paying attention to how close her hand was to mine under the table. Not a single person was even looking in our direction. It was like she could kiss me right here in front of the whole room and the wolrd would still go on.

As more people enter, my eyes land on a very beautiful young women with brunette hair and blue eyes.

Her long, elegant silver dress danced across the floor as she walked and beside me, Cullen's attention zeroed in on this woman as if she was the only person in the room.