Chapter 9

My white knuckles lightly knocked onto Ms. Lenore's office door.

I was able successfully convince Cullen to wait in his office or literally anywhere else while I speak with her. I knew he was worried for me, and I also knew that he thinks what I'm doing is a mistake but if it is then it should be my mistake to make.

"Enter" Her British tone called out behind the door.

Cold air hits me as I push myself through her door and softly close it behind me trying to make as little noise as possible.

Beyond her desk I saw her eyes glance up and widen a little at the sight of me.

Ms. Lenore straightens her poster and leans back into her chair smirking at me.

"And what do I owe the pleasure Ms. Carlisle."

Swiftly, I smile and sit myself in the chair in front of her desk. Facing me, I could see her eyes dance over my face studying me.

"I've come to inform you of my decision regaurding the secretary position you offered me last week."

Anticipation grew hard in my skin as well as hers while I watched her shift in her seat some.

"And?" She pressed.

"And I'm happy to inform that I'm more than willing to accept your offer."

I had been so used to Ms. Lenore's devious smirk that in this moment I hardly couldn't even recognize the genuine smile that began to grow in her face.

Her lips parted to speak but she got choked up for a slight moment while I watched her reaction carefully.

"Well, that's great Lilith, you can start next week after your school. I'll inform Cullen of your responsibilities and he can show you the ropes."

Her response seemed a little more upfront than I'm used to, but I knew she was being professional.

"Will you not be teaching me how I should get things done? I mean I will be your secretary after all, not Cullen's." I clear my throat.

"Typically, that would be the case, but I have a lot on my plate and seeing that you and Cullen are so close, I assumed there would be no issue with that."

The last part of her words has some bitterness that was hard to ignore in them, but I brush it off.

"Of course, I apologize for the misunderstanding." I politely nod.

Ms. Lenore narrows her eyes some.

"That won't be an issue, will it? I do not tolerate drama with any of my employees."

The blade of bitterness slashed at me causing me to feel a cold rush of guilt rush over me.

Neither me nor Cullen have been transparent about the fact that we are now in a romantic relationship together to Ms. Lenore. I mean that has not mattered until now.

"Ms. Lenore I should be completely honest with you about me and Cullen and inform you if you did not already know but we are in a romantic relationship and if there are any rules or things that are put in place then I think it's right of me to announce this now, rather than later." I stiffen.

From the conner of her desk, her hand reached over to a small glass containing what looked to be some sort of liquor and she took a sip all while maintaining eye contact with me.

Those gorgeous eyes could bring any man, women, or person to their knees.

Finally, I watched as she set aside the glass to at last, speak.

"Let me be clear about a few things Lilith." She began.

"I have no rules against relationships between my employees as long as their relationship stays out of my building and my work. I do not tolerate drama, bad blood, or any sort of emotions that could get in the way of your job. Do your job right, keep your relationship out of my ears as well as work, and I have no issue with your personal life."

All throughout her words, she maintained a calm and firm tone that was professional.

I admired her and the way she ran her company, I also respected her wishes about relationships and personal life.

"Of course, ma'am, I completely agree with you about everything." I assure.

"Good. Then it seems as though we will have no issues with you and Cullen then."

I nod my head with grace while she stared me down.

"Well seeing that this concludes our conversating for today, you are dismissed." She mumbled as her focus returned to a stack of papers on her desk.

Cold was her words as I felt my body stay put taking in the encounter I just had.

Everything about the change in her demeanor screamed jealousy as soon as I mentioned Cullen, and for some unexplainable reason, I loved it.