Chapter 15

*Cullen's POV*

Lilith slams my car door after she gets out without even looking back at me.

I knew I fucked up, but it also infuriated me that our boss was making this so easy for her. She deserves to know what it takes to work hard for something you really want.

I didn't want to go in, I had no interested catering to Ms. Lenore or seeing Lilith.

My hand slips into my pocket reaching for my phone and seeing a new text notification from an unknown number.

Unknown: Hey mystery man, how about we meet for lunch this afternoon if you aren't busy, maybe you could show me around the city a bit.

Suddenly my anger fades into something else that I cannot quite explain. My fingertips move their own way across the screen without even a second thought.

Me: Ha sure thing, meet me at the coffee shop and I can drive us around?

The pounding in my chest quickens its pace as I wait for her to respond.

I knew it was wrong, the excitement I felt as soon as I saw her message and the fact that I told her I didn't have a girlfriend when in fact I do.

My phone buzzes in my tight grasp while I sink into my seat.

Unknown: Sounds good, meet you in an hour ;)

The dangerous unraveling sensation deepens in me, and I can feel the chase begin to spiral.

Everything about it was wrong, the way I lied to her and Lilith, the way I pictured her lips against mine in a way that only happens in the movies.

I wanted her in a way I had never wanted another human, not even Lilith. I thought I was in love with Lilith, but maybe I'm not?

Lilith is just becoming far too distant from me, it doesn't even feel like she wants to be my girlfriend, she would rather spend all her time ass kissing to Ms. Lenore.

I glace up through my windshield at the tall building in front of me that I call work then back down to my phone.

Swiping through my contacts I find Ms. Lenore's with a devil emoji icon, and I quickly type out a pathetic work excuse.

Me: Good morning Ms. Lenore, unfortunately I was fallen ill this morning and will not be able to come into the office this morning.

I don't spend much time to wait for a response because I'm already driving away down to the same coffee shop where I'll be waiting for the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my life.

The drive is blissful and shorter as I approach the distant coffee shop.

I don't think much about the uncertainty behind it all but instead about Avery, her dark brunet hair and gorgues deep blue eyes that rope me in.

...

My fingers fiddle around my rings anxiously as I keep eyeing the coffee shop door for Avery. She texted me a half hour ago telling she was on the way and every second that passed was one more second to me throwing up from anxiousness.

The ding from the door opening shoots my head up and I half expected to see just another random face, but my heart fluttered as soon as Avery's grin came into sight.

I stand from my seat abruptly to greet her as a gentleman would.

"It's good to see you, Avery."

"And like wise Mr. Fritz."

Dumbfounded, I reach my hand out for a handshake.

A handshake Cullen, really?

She cocks an eyebrow at me leaving my hand hanging in the center of us.

"Don't be a pussy Cullen, you can kiss me."

Frozen in fear, my neck doesn't move just yet to allow our lips to meet. How could I kiss her like I don't have a girlfriend? This is wrong. I have to end this and tell both of them the truth.

But as my mind thinks back to this morning, Lilith's anger at me and the way she pulls away from with every move I make, Avery was a comfort to me that I craved.

"Cullen? I said you can kiss me now so that kind of means you have to lean in." Avery chuckles.

I could listen to her laugh for ages without every getting tired of hearing it.

Eagerly my hand slips into the small of her back and I lower my head while pulling in until I feel our lips meet and my body feels a jolt of fire ignite inside.

Our lips stay in motion for a good few seconds before she pulls away, so we don't get too carried away.

"Um please sit." I pull out the chair across the small wooden table for her.

"You're such a gentleman, thank you."

Sitting across from her is like sitting across from a Victoria's Secret super model and you almost can't believe she's real.

"So, Cullen, what exactly is it that you do for a living?" She asks politely.

I groan in response to her question as the spitting and might I say unfortunate image of Ms. Lenore shoots in my mind.

"Ugh do we really have to talk about work, I mean I'm sure ill just bore you. We should talk about something deeper, shouldn't we?"

"Oh, come on Cullen, this is what people on dates talk about. We can't just jump into the deep conversations with each other if we don't even know anything about each other."

As much as I hated to admit it, she was right. I must except the defeat of this and answer her questions no matter how antagonizing or boring they are.

"Well, I work at Lenore enterprises as Scarlett Lenore's personal assistant."

When I tell most people that, they shoot up in surprise and ask me as many questions as they can about Ms. Lenore and what she's like and if she's single, but this was different.

"Do you like your job?" Her face dead serious and full of interest.

"Well, it's not the greatest but it pays the bills and keeps me busy so I can't complain. I'm just waiting for the I get a promotion or even a better opportunity at another company."

Avery nods and continues her questions.

"What are you looking for in a relationship Cullen?"

The question takes me off guard because truth be told I've never been asked that by someone before.

"If I'm being honest, I'm not really sure. I know I want someone loyal, kind, respectful, and someone who is willing to work through whatever to repair our relationship."

I knew the moment it left my mouth that what I said was ironic, loyalty is something I've always been true to until now. What changed me?

"Well, it's a good thing I'm everything you're looking for. Or at least I think I am, I mean I've never cheated on someone, and I don't date guys who are just dating to date." She winks.

Avery was everything Lilith wasn't. She was outgoing, had total interest and me and what I do, and most importantly she wants a future with a guy like me.

"I know this might be too soon to ask this but, do you think we could have a second date?" I blurt out suddenly.

Her eyes widen in surprise.

"Wow I must have made a really good impression on you."

She and I laugh it off but then her eyes soften.

"But yes Cullen, I would absolutely love to have a second date with you."

*Author's Note*
Hi everyone, sorry for not posting an update in awhile. Life's been busy but I hope you enjoy this chapter.